Equipment Review and Discussion :: Need suggestions for equipment for new tank

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:09 am   Need suggestions for equipment for new tank

I will be transfering my RES to a 50 gallon tank in a month or so. I would like suggestions as to what the best filters are to use, what types of lights to use, and suggestions on something for her to bask on in a 50 gallon tank. She currently basks on one of those floating things that suction cup to the tank, but she is too big and heavy for it now and I need something that will hold her up. I know that I do want a canister filter for sure. I like having the filter on the outside of the tank. Any suggestions would be a enormous help to me. The more, the better. The most important thing would be what kind of filter to get. It will only be one turtle living in the tank. Thank you!! :D
krisiecap

Post Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:17 pm   

You should take a look at some of the other posts on this particular forum. Is money an issue? If I wanted to not go all out, I'd get a Filstar XP3 for the filter, and a combination mercury vapor light for the lighting (will provide UVB, UVA and heat)--Powersun and Active UVHeat are two popular ones, but there are others) and a 250-watt submersible water heater (Ebo-Jager, Tronic or a Guardian).

How big/heavy is your turtle? I'm partial to corkbark for a basking area, mainly because of it's natural look and non-abrasiveness.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion