Equipment Review and Discussion :: Preparing cork bark (updated)

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:46 pm   Preparing cork bark (updated)

I read that some members recommend cork bark as a basking dock. Is that the same as the ESU Reptile Bark Bends that Petsmart sells between 6 to 8 dollars? It's like a bent down piece of tree trunk. Do those actually float better than the Zoomed turtle dock?

=====
UPDATE:

I just bought some cork bark at Petsmart for $7.99. I read the forum and noticed that drift wood should be boiled before putting it in the same water as your turtles. I did not notice anything on cork bark though. Should cork bark be prepared even when you buy it at a pet store? If so, how? Do you just soak it in and/or boil it? How long?
Last edited by justify_yourlove on Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thank you,
Emily
justify_yourlove

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:58 pm   

Sounds like the same thing. I know the corkbark floats just as well as the zoo med dock but you'll have to find a way to stabilize it. Some people wedge it in between the walls of the tank if it's the right size or you could drill holes in it and use the suction things from your zoo med dock, although that didn't work particularly well for me. My turts also ended up eating the corkbark so I had to remove it. I have yet to sit down and figure out how to build a perfect dock.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:03 pm   

I'm not sure it's the same thing. It says they are made of resin, so I don't think they'd float like cork bark does.
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:02 pm   Resin

Yes, this one is made of resin. I guess it won't float?:( Yeah. *lol* I think the perfect turtle dock would make a million bucks!
Thank you,
Emily
justify_yourlove

Post Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:13 pm   

I found an awsome dock at a family run store, the place is never organize nor does it look pretty but that place has everything any pet owner needs.

it is like the turtle dock but it is plastic so it is easier to clean!
tini

Post Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:45 pm   

I thought I had posted something at one time about how to prepare cork bark. What I did with mine was scrub it a bit to get the loose bits off and I soaked it for a day or so.. you need to weigh it down with something as it keeps floating to the top. Marisa is the one who responded to my question so maybe she can tell you. If I find the post I'll update :)

**found it***

http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=11556#11556
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:16 pm   

Are the ESU bark bends the curved pieces that have the bark over some wood? If so, they're not meant to be put in water.

I once bought a small piece of corkbark at Petsmart, and the directions on it said to dip it in a diluted solution of bleach and water for 15 minutes, which I did. I then air dried it and baked it (I wouldn't boil it or wood--it breaks down the cellulose and will cause it to disintergrate more quickly).

I must say the piece of Petsmart corkbark I bought had to also be scrubbed really well to clean it and it never has been as buoyant as other pieces I've bought. I do like corkbark as a medium for basking, though. I've got some pieces that have been floating in water for over a year and a half.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion