Equipment Review and Discussion :: glass heater

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:49 pm   glass heater

I just purchased a heater for my tank. Now that I look at it I realize that it is glass. Will this be a problem?
felmel

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:52 pm   

Not unless your turt tries to move it. They sell heater guards to prevent burns and to prevent the heater from breaking. I don't use one because I have the heater positioned in a way that prevents them from even going near it.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:21 pm   

Some of the glass heaters (Ebo-Jagers, for one) are made out of a thicker-than-normal tempered glass that's much less fragile than regular glass. I've used both glass heaters and "unbreakable" heaters made out of other materials and haven't yet had a problem with the glass ones.
That said, keep the heater away from rocks and other objects (you'd want to do this with any heater, though, so that the water circulates freely around it). Follow the instructions that came with the heater. And with any heater, let it sit in the tank water for 15 minutes before turning it to let it get adjusted to the water temp; likewise when you unplug the heater (to do a cleaning, for example) let the heater stay in the water for 15 minutes before you remove it from the tank. If you're really concerned about breakage, you could get a heater guard (Tronic makes good ones that fit a number of different other heaters, just make sure the lengths are the same); it's also safer for your turt if s/he likes to play/lay on it.

What brand of heater did you buy?
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion