Equipment Review and Discussion :: going on vacation...help!

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:48 pm   going on vacation...help!

I'm going on vacation for 6 days...and I'm very nervous about leaving my RES behind. I would rather have somebody come over every so often and check up on them but I'm not certain if that's going to be possible...
I have two RES that are about 3.5-4 in. They are in a 35 gal. tank right now. They have a heater that's automatic and I just replaced the filter. My only problem is the lighting and feeding. Is there any equipment that I can get that sets the basking lamp on a timer? And does anybody have any advice on what I need to do w/ the whole food situation?
Thanks for the help! It's greatly appreciated...
dokhi

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:13 pm   

a timer.......and feederfish/a water plant, thats the best thing i can give you.

There is an automatic fish feeder at walmart the feeds fish twice a day every 12 hours, so i'm not sure if you want to use something like that...
Elliott
ellman605

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:14 pm   

8) 8) i just have my closest relative come and take care of him. 8) 8)
thats all i got.
PGB
TURT:
DONNIE
PB99

Post Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:17 am   

You can get a timer at walmart or home depot for pretty cheap.

Your turts are big enough that they can safely go the whole 6 days without eating but you'll want to leave something anyway. Feed them pellets before you leave and put in a few feeder fish if that will make you feel better. Also you can throw in some anacharis. I'm not sure about leaving lettuce in there because it can go soggy/nasty in that time.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:00 am   

You might want to make it a first priority when you get back to give your turts a larger tank for Christmas. If your turts are approaching 4 inches each, you should have at least an 80 gallon tank for them.
Missi

2 RES, 1 cat, and a spoiled rotten pug.
missibsu

Post Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:26 pm   

Aside from the timer, I'd try to have someone come in at least once to check on them and feed them. If no one can, you could feed them a bit more before you leave and leave some anachris in the tank for them to munch on. (I'd clean the filter before I left as well.)
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion