Equipment Review and Discussion :: Canister filter Magnum 350

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:03 pm   Canister filter Magnum 350

After having my turtle for 17 years now, I am changing his filter type for the 3rd time.

This morning I discovered that he had snapped the wire off of the current filter!

So I bought a Marineland Canister filter Magnum 350. Is that a good choice? are there filter types that are safe or unsafe for turtles?
~Becky
beforemyway

Post Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:34 am   Re: Canister filter Magnum 350

It's not considered to be a great filter. Turtles shouldn't have a problem with most filters, many have their own pros and cons. It's important that they don't have parts a turtle can eat and that it's secure so a turtle can't become trapped. Many people here are fans of the XP3/XP4 filters and the higher end Fluvals.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:44 pm   Re: Canister filter Magnum 350

The big issue with the 350 is when you go to clean it it will make a lot of mess before you get it somewhere to clean it. Also its filter media isn't the greatest for turtles so you may have to adjust it with some of the fluval bags (I am sure other companies have them, its just the only one my pet store carries)
SSMcLeod

Post Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:14 pm   Re: Canister filter Magnum 350

The magnum 350 is quite possible the worst canister still being manufactured. You could have had my old 350.

The magnum 350 does one thing very well... water polishing with the pleated micron filter. However, this isn't what's needed on a day-day basis for a turtle environment. You need a canister filter with a high flow rate and LOTS of room for biological media. The media basket - originally called the carbon basket by marineland is designed for just that... to hold some carbon or ammonia chemical filtration. It's not designed to hold the large quantity of bio media you want for a turtle setup. You get a tiny bit of mechanical filtration from the blue sleeve that covers the basket.

The XP3/4, Fluval 05/FX5, or eheim filters as steve mentioned are much better suited for a turtle environment.

The 350 does leak and make a HUGE mess when you go to clean it. SSMcleod is being polite in his statements about this filter. The shut off valves are fragile and will break. It's a train wreck of a filter. If you still have the receipt for this POS, return it while you can. Heed the warning.

IF you are stuck with the 350, here's how to set it up. Get a package of bio media like the bio rings and dump them in the media basket. Add a filter bag of carbon or purigen to the top of the basket. Put the filter sleeve on the basket. Be prepared to clean this filter every 2 weeks or so. Keep a mop and bucket handy when you disconnect it.
VeipaCray

Post Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:18 pm   Re: Canister filter Magnum 350

Thanks for the warning guys! It turns out the filter I bought was missing parts, so returning it will be easy.

The pet store in the area does have a Fluval, so that's what you would recommend then?
~Becky
beforemyway

Post Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:58 pm   Re: Canister filter Magnum 350

I would avoid buying them in store, since they are much cheaper online. How big is you tank? If it's 100+ gallons, I'd look into the FX5. Smaller than that and you still want a Fluval, look into the 405.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:57 pm   Re: Canister filter Magnum 350

I think I have about 50 gallons in the tank.
~Becky
beforemyway

Post Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:00 pm   Re: Canister filter Magnum 350

IF you are handy the magnum 350 has a decent enough motor. I plan on taking mine (I got it for free) and build my own canister filter with it
SSMcLeod

Post Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:43 pm   Re: Canister filter Magnum 350

I'm currently using the Magnum 350 canister filter (not the hang on type). I got it for free when I bought my 110G tank, cleaned it, and it worked like a charm. Recently, I've been tryign to stay away from Marineland stuff, because I bought a heater, and now its not working right (can explain in PM's, so no thread jacking). But, after all, its stille a filte,r it does what its supposed to. The top O-ring and be annoying, and water can be spilled easily, but it does its job, its helping a worn out Marineland 400, and the tank has been clean ever since the tank was filled. Its ran 24/7 for more than 2 months straight with no problems, prolly next month or the month after I'll change the filter media (it doesnt only have the filter sleeve, it has extra filter media, lava rocks, and carbon). My qater quality level cant get any better.

The Marinelad 400 is basicly a noisy wave maker that has some filter media, basicly thats it.

Ohh, if your wondering, the specs of the tank:
-Completely filled to the top
-Alot of fishes (maybe 7-13, they are to fast to count them all)
-Alot of snails (2 Mystery snails, 1 small horn snail, and alot of trumpet snails)
-Ghost shrimp (I'm sure theres more than 2 still left)

Sorry if I misspelled anything, havent been feeling my best.
Thanks,
Richard
Snowboi

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:15 am   Re: Canister filter Magnum 350

Snowboi wrote:I'm currently using the Magnum 350 canister filter (not the hang on type). I got it for free when I bought my 110G tank, cleaned it, and it worked like a charm. Recently, I've been tryign to stay away from Marineland stuff, because I bought a heater, and now its not working right (can explain in PM's, so no thread jacking). But, after all, its stille a filte,r it does what its supposed to. The top O-ring and be annoying, and water can be spilled easily, but it does its job, its helping a worn out Marineland 400, and the tank has been clean ever since the tank was filled. Its ran 24/7 for more than 2 months straight with no problems, prolly next month or the month after I'll change the filter media (it doesnt only have the filter sleeve, it has extra filter media, lava rocks, and carbon). My qater quality level cant get any better.

The Marinelad 400 is basicly a noisy wave maker that has some filter media, basicly thats it.

Ohh, if your wondering, the specs of the tank:
-Completely filled to the top
-Alot of fishes (maybe 7-13, they are to fast to count them all)
-Alot of snails (2 Mystery snails, 1 small horn snail, and alot of trumpet snails)
-Ghost shrimp (I'm sure theres more than 2 still left)

Sorry if I misspelled anything, havent been feeling my best.

If you bought a marineland stealth pro heater and it's not working... take it back to the store where you got it. Marineland has recalled the stealth pro heaters and has removed the product line from their website.

FYI activated carbon only lasts 4-6 weeks on average. You might want to consider changing your media sooner than later. Also, for $8 online you can get a small bag of Purigen. It does the same thing as carbon, but you can clean it and re-use it over and over.

The magnum 350 does run and run and run. I used mine for 15 years or so. It is a mack truck as far as the motor goes. The more recently designed filters do a better job than the magnum 350 for the same money. The newer filters from fluval, rena, and eheim are also much easier on the ears than the magnum 350.
VeipaCray

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:05 pm   Re: Canister filter Magnum 350

I have three Marinland 350s and they do just fine. I have had one for over 20 years and I now use it as a stand by but never need it. It was one of the first that you have to oil when It gets noisey, more noisey! I have a fluval 405 which is quieter but pumps a little less water. It is one of the first of the canisters and if you have little or no mechanical abilities, you may have some problems with it, the others may be easier. I guess you either love or hate the Marineland 350 Magnum. I love mine. When you clean them you have to make sure you fill them up with water before you try and start them up. They are a little more noisey but are good canister filters and are a little cheaper.
mikee

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:32 pm   Re: Canister filter Magnum 350

The 350 doesn't hold enough media which lends towards very frequent cleanings.

The Rena XP3 and the Magnum 350 are both around $130 new on the ebay stores.
The XP4 and the Magnum 350 pro (with the bio wheel) are also about the same price.

If you're buying a new canister at that price point, you'd be a fool to pick the Magnum over the XP3 or XP4.
VeipaCray

Post Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:00 pm   Re: Canister filter Magnum 350

Yea, if you can afford a brand new XP3 or XP4, get the Rena's, even though I never had them, they have to be better than the Marineland 350. I got my 350 Pro filter free with my tank, so I had to work with what I had gotten, which was good. Its still a filter, and it does filter out alot of the waste like it should, but what I did, was mod it slightly, added my own media. As many people will/can say, the motor will outlast 99% of the rest of the filter, so thats a plus for some. Yes, they are troublesome to cleaning, changing the media, adjusting, but it still does its job.

It wasnt the stealth pro heater, it was the visi-therm 400w heater, I already talked to them, and there sending me a new one free.

If you can fork over a couple extra dollars to get a Rena, then cut your time and money in half, and just buy the Rena. But, if you found a used (still in good condition, also cheap) and you cant afford a brand new Rena XP3/XP4, then do what you think is better for the time being.
Thanks,
Richard
Snowboi

Post Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:20 pm   Re: Canister filter Magnum 350

So... I ended up getting the fluval 305, and after it took about 2 hrs to figure out which tube went into which spot *feels incredible stupid* :oops: I finally have it up and running and it seams to work great so far :) thanks everyone for the advice!

It cost about $180, which is the same price as I could have bought it from their website, so I guess that works out alright then.
~Becky
beforemyway

Post Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:57 pm   Re: Canister filter Magnum 350

I bought a marineland 350 last night online....got a good deal on it. Less than 100 bucks. Then I read this thread. I returned it and bought an XP3 just now. The tank is going to be in my living room, so I didn't want a noisy, leaking filter. I realize there is going to be some noise, but minimal would be best. Thanks for all the info on here!
STOP SNAPPER FEST! LETS GRAB SOME HILLBILLIES BY THEIR MULLETS AND THROW THEM TO THE GROUND!
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/stopsnapperfest/

My build thread!
http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31728
Tucker Allen

Next

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion