Equipment Review and Discussion :: Hydor Inline Heater 200w and Rena SmartHeater

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:59 am   Hydor Inline Heater 200w and Rena SmartHeater

I confess I never liked those glass heaters in a turtle tank. Call me paranoid, but a big glass tube filled with live wires and an active clumsy turtle just don't go together in my mind. They don't seem to look right no matter where you put them or how you try to hide them.

So for 6 years I used a Rena Smartheater. I entirely made of thermoplastic and fits at the end of the intake tube of my Rena Filstar XP3, taking the place of the strainer normally there. For 6 years it worked flawlessly kept my 25 gallon tank at a rock steady 76 degrees. For some reason Rena discounted this heater a couple of years ago and almost as if on que mine started behaving erratically, one day I found my tank at 83 degreess and the heater was still on. Luckily, I caught it before it turned my tank into seafood gumbo.

PROs: Reliable, bombproof/turtleproof, integrates with Rena filters, accurate
CONs: Discontinued, large ugly cylon like light, temperature settings were hard to read, can be difficult to clean since it's a hollow tube

I've since replaced it with a 200w Hydor Inline heater. This heater does not go inside the aquarium but attaches to the output tubing of your canister filter. Comes in 5/8th inch and 1 inch ID models, most canister filters use 5/8 ID tubing. Installation took all of 10 minutes, I spend 5 minutes trying to find a spot on your output hose where I wanted to splice the heater. I think closer to the output the better, less chance of thermo heat loss. Cut the tube with a sharp pair of scissors, push tube onto the heater tube barbs making sure the arrow on the unit points in the direction of flow. Tighten the nuts and your basically done. No more ugly heater in the tank.

I've had it for over a month now, and it been working perfectly.

PROs: No tank space used, easy to read temp. dial, set and forget, has that Italian luxury mystique
CONs: Must have a canister filter, temp dial lacks a lock you have to be careful you don't accidentally knock it, instructions minimal
devilduck

Post Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:29 am   Re: Hydor Inline Heater 200w and Rena SmartHeater

Nice review. I suppose this could be used with just a pump if someone doesn't have a canister or needs a second heater.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:24 am   Re: Hydor Inline Heater 200w and Rena SmartHeater

As long as the pump takes a 5/8" or 1" ID line. That's a good idea steve, I didn't even think about that.
devilduck

Post Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:27 am   Re: Hydor Inline Heater 200w and Rena SmartHeater

An excellent review! I'm in the same situation that needs to invest in a Hydor.

I suppose you connected your Hydor to your XP3? Does XP3 have a 5/8" ID line or 1/2"?
Chintz

Post Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:09 am   Re: Hydor Inline Heater 200w and Rena SmartHeater

It's been awhile but it think i's 5/8"
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:09 pm   Re: Hydor Inline Heater 200w and Rena SmartHeater

That is correct the XP3 has 5/8" ID tubing.
devilduck

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion