Equipment Review and Discussion :: Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:49 pm   Re: Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

Oh yeah that other end can be as simple as a length of PVC pipe with PVC reducers to a threaded adapter and a hose barb. With that waterbed drain kit you could build a "python" for $15 or less.
VeipaCray

Post Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:55 pm   Re: Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

Actually a slip x thread PVC reducing bushing inside a length of PVC with a threaded hose barb. Three parts and you can make the other end. Maybe I'll go grab all the parts and create a thread on how to DIY a water changer for cheap unless you've already done this and have some pics to share.
VeipaCray

Post Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:02 pm   Re: Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

I actually just bought an aqueon syphon off amazon. Hooked it up to the drain kit and done. Feel free to post a thread.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:23 pm   Re: Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

The filter with the bypass you recommended I cannot find anymore. Do you have any recommendations on a good filter with a bypass and carbon replacement to replace this
Ryano

Post Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:01 pm   Re: Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

The Menard's site listed has it. The current model appears to be "U25 Series E".

Home Depot has a Dupont (WFPF38001C) that has similar specs/price:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/DuPont-Valve ... /203440239
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:32 pm   Re: Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

Yeah I bought that one and it didn't have a bypass it just had a shut off so you couldn't drain your tank with it. What they are calling a bypass is actually a shut off so you can change the filter without turning off the main.
Ryano

Post Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:11 pm   Re: Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

I have not tried either, so I don't know about the bypass. U30 is marketed as having a bypass, does that look like it would work?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:14 pm   Re: Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

I think this is it

http://t.homedepot.com/p/GE-Clear-Whole ... 202073874/

It doesn't come with a carbon filter, but you can get them for it. I know mine is a GE filter and it has the bypass. That 3 position shutoff is filtered, bypass, and off.
Tobi a RES born in 2012
1 dog, 1 teenager, 3 aquariums filled with fish, snails, shrimp and a bit of algae
ljapa

Post Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:22 pm   Re: Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

I ordered that GE canister and carbon wrapped filters for it. Hopefully it will work :). Thanks for the info
Ryano

Post Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:43 pm   Re: Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

Just some info, coconut carbon filters are the best to use. I can't find them where I live but they sell them on e-bay.
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:45 am   Re: Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

Anyone test how effective this setup is? I just happen to have all the parts from a past brewing life, just need a new carbon filter core. However, I've read that carbon is very effective for chlorine but less so for chloramine. There needs to be a longer water-carbon contact time for the latter. This might mean just running the water through the filter at a much slower rate. I'd like to see someone test the water pre and post to see how well the filter did in pulling chloramine out.

Another tip I use here in drought-ridden CA is to run the effluent out to my lawn (really just a dry patch of struggling green stuff) - the water from the changer and the tank then go to good use. And a little fertilizer for the lawn never hurt. I even use it on my fruit trees, but not my edibles because of the salmonella risk.
OrganicRusty

Post Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:17 pm   Re: Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

You bring up a good point. The funny thing is that most tap water really doesn't contain that much. 3 ppm maybe? I did check mine early in this post and your right it needs contact time. The slower you run the water the better. Is it even needed? Depends on your ppm. I drink my water! But I use the filter for my turtles. Is it necessary? That's a good question. It might hurt their eyes or kill fish but some people day no for turtles. Some people don't clean their filter for 4 years is that ok also? I don't have all the answers but I would say yes carbon is good and clean your filter. That's my 2 ¢
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:58 pm   Re: Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

OrganicRusty wrote:Anyone test how effective this setup is? I just happen to have all the parts from a past brewing life, just need a new carbon filter core. However, I've read that carbon is very effective for chlorine but less so for chloramine. There needs to be a longer water-carbon contact time for the latter. This might mean just running the water through the filter at a much slower rate. I'd like to see someone test the water pre and post to see how well the filter did in pulling chloramine out.

In a thread a few years ago, I had posted this rather technical thought on the matter and brought up the issue of contact time

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=33826#p321690

VeipaCray chimed in with the results of chloramine tests he had done showing that at least for .75ppm, it eliminated it

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=33826&start=15#p321707
Tobi a RES born in 2012
1 dog, 1 teenager, 3 aquariums filled with fish, snails, shrimp and a bit of algae
ljapa

Post Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:12 am   Re: Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

"Update on water change system"

I stopped using it some time ago. I went back to a plain old syphon and 5 gallon bucket. I found that the water change system didn't have enough suction for my liking. I also realized I was wasting a ton of water when using it. Mind you I have a really large area to clean weekly. I also have 4 turtles and fish in my tank.
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:27 pm   Re: Water Change System with Integrated Tap Water Filter

You mean you stopped using it to drain? Or fill? Or both?
steve
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion