Equipment Review and Discussion :: Filters, buy it new or get it used?

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:51 pm   Filters, buy it new or get it used?

Ok so I have been scanning Craigslist for a Fluval FX5 and I finally found one for under $150 but I wonder. Is it best to buy it new? Or would getting it used be ok? If I get it used what should I look for or be aware of?
1 male RES - Franklin
2 gold fish and 1 silver Fathead Minnow that started out as feeder fish & earned their right to live
3 Leopard Geckos - Gizmo, Snow and Boo
My Build Thread viewtopic.php?f=14&t=33545
MEandYouPhoto

Post Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:20 pm   Re: Filters, buy it new or get it used?

Tell them you want to see it run. Make sure the disconnects work properly. I would buy new carbon and new sponges. I would boil the ceramic noodles if it comes with them. Clean everything in the filter (baskets). I bought my filter used for the turtles. I have 2 fluvals running my freshwater tank, they are great filters. Someone else may chime in on their thoughts.
AquaticLuv

Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:17 am   Re: Filters, buy it new or get it used?

Used is OK if it's not leaking and the pump works. Replace ALL of the media - you don't know what chemicals the previous owner used. Don't boil ceramic media. It's very porous and water trapped in the pores wants to expand and turn to gas (steam) as it's boiled. This can cause media to explode and send sharp ceramic shrapnel around. Not a good idea.
VeipaCray

Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:34 pm   Re: Filters, buy it new or get it used?

Not to scare you but I just wanted to know if this ever happen to anyone else.

In my life I've seen two canister filters overheat and catch fire.

First time was when I was a teenager working at a restaurant. They had a large 120+ gallon display tank by the window. It may have lost prime during the night because of a brown out. It overheated and actually caught fire in the middle of the day, the fire spread to the window curtains. Thankfully the staff acted quickly and was able to extinguish the flames.

This summer my brother's fluval canister in his planted corner tank started making a grinding noise then started smoking. It actually filled the room it was in with smoke and a horrible burnt plastic smell.

Maybe I'm just bad luck around filters, I've never heard of this happening to anyone else I know.
Though now I replace my canisters every 5 years just for piece of mind.
devilduck

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion