Equipment Review and Discussion :: Internal Filter

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:20 pm   Internal Filter

I have 4 turtle tanks, 12 RES ranging from one month old to 17 years old...
and cannot get an external filter due to lack of space living in a NYC apartment. And there are two turtle tanks on top of each other so gravity won't work.
Which internal brand would you recommend? I'll be getting different size for different size tanks....currently I'm using Fluval 3Plus and change water every other week but it takes 3 hours each time...
And is Zoo Med 501 Turtle Canister Filter even a good filter? I can get the ones hanging too.
Thanks!
StimpyDingDong

Post Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:18 pm   Re: Internal Filter

I used a fluval U4 for a few months and liked it. But I was cleaning it every couple of weeks. I have now switched to a Rena Xp-XL canister filter and wish I would have just went with it in the first place. But since your running 4 separate tanks I can see how space would be an issue. How big are your tanks?
1 YBS ~ Squirtle
4 Mini Doxies ~ Pebbles, Sam, Donut & Rosco
2 Snails ~ Bluey and Jerry
sweety10189110

Post Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:24 pm   Re: Internal Filter

I have three 20gallons- all using Fluval 3Plus (which is not easy changing water every two weeks).
and one 10gallon holding 4 newborns, no filter yet.
I'm looking to buy one good filter for the newborns until I find them a new home (rescused them from some unethnical seller on the street)
and good internal/hanging filters for the other 3 tanks.
StimpyDingDong

Post Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:27 pm   Re: Internal Filter

I did brought the Rena Xp-XL canister filter everyone recommends here, but it just won't work due to space issues and gravity =( So I ended up returning it. Heard the Eheim filter is also a good choice but it's just so big in my small apartment.
StimpyDingDong

Post Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:08 am   Re: Internal Filter

You might want to consider constructing your own filtration. That many turtles would prove to be very difficult to manage, are you trying to rehome them?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:43 am   Re: Internal Filter

12 RES in 3 x 20 gallon tanks? I assume they are all tiny turtles right now. When those guys grow up, you're going to need some serious aquarium real estate and a pond filter.
VeipaCray

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion