Equipment Review and Discussion :: Is stacking filters as effective as one large one?

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:12 pm   Re: Is stacking filters as effective as one large one?

MEandYouPhoto wrote:
VeipaCray wrote:Do you already have a second 406 or would you need to purchase one? If you're going to purchase a second one, I'd just get the XP3 that I've linked instead and sell your original 406.

I was originally looking at getting a second 406 so that I had some uniformity to the look of the tank. Also replacing parts is easier when i only have 1 model to deal with versus two.

Does the FX5 have a bypass design too or is it like the Rena XP4?

The FX5 is not bypass by design. The FX5 is a unique filter from any other filter in the Fluval line.

Gracie Turts wrote:@VeipaCray would the Fluval 406 also have a lesser flow rate with media and no head? or do the two filters just work differently?

The 406 also has a lesser flow rate with head. However because water can bypass the media, the flow rate through the canister isn't as restricted as much by the presence of media. So yes... the flow rate does drop when media is in a 406, but not as much as it drops in other filters if that makes sense.
VeipaCray

Post Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:07 pm   Re: Is stacking filters as effective as one large one?

What you are saying makes a lot of sense. I definitely want to get an FX5 so I guess I will just have to save my pennies and save up for one. In the end it seems like the all around better choice.
1 male RES - Franklin
2 gold fish and 1 silver Fathead Minnow that started out as feeder fish & earned their right to live
3 Leopard Geckos - Gizmo, Snow and Boo
My Build Thread viewtopic.php?f=14&t=33545
MEandYouPhoto

Post Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:00 pm   Re: Is stacking filters as effective as one large one?

You can't go wrong with an FX5 on a turtle tank. It's a really excellent filter.
VeipaCray

Post Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:36 pm   Re: Is stacking filters as effective as one large one?

Love my FX5! My only complaint is that it makes the water so sparkling clear that I have to force myself to do water changes :)
happycamper

Post Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:43 pm   Re: Is stacking filters as effective as one large one?

happycamper wrote:Love my FX5! My only complaint is that it makes the water so sparkling clear that I have to force myself to do water changes :)

What do you mean "force yourself to do water changes"?
1 male RES - Franklin
2 gold fish and 1 silver Fathead Minnow that started out as feeder fish & earned their right to live
3 Leopard Geckos - Gizmo, Snow and Boo
My Build Thread viewtopic.php?f=14&t=33545
MEandYouPhoto

Post Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:03 pm   Re: Is stacking filters as effective as one large one?

When I was running my old filter (fluval 405) I would actually have to clean some debris out of the tank, turtle poo etc., so that motivated me to do water changes. There is never any visible need for water changes now, just for nitrate removal.
happycamper

Post Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:29 pm   Re: Is stacking filters as effective as one large one?

I know what you mean, there is never any visible motivation to clean the tank or filter, explains why I haven't touched mine since I set it up over a year ago.
5 inch RES male named Jordtim
Hardware: 75 gallon tank (21"H X 48"W X 18"D), FX5 filter with veipacray media setup, pool filter sand substrat, TurtleSafe halogen heat/UVA lamp and ReptiGlo 5.0 UVB lamp in ZooMed Dual Dome Fixture.
PridgNYC

Post Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:56 am   Re: Is stacking filters as effective as one large one?

MEandYouPhoto wrote:
happycamper wrote:Love my FX5! My only complaint is that it makes the water so sparkling clear that I have to force myself to do water changes :)

What do you mean "force yourself to do water changes"?

I have an FX5 as well, and by forcing ourselves to do water changes, one may mean that the water is so clean, there is no other sign that the water needs to be changed other than the knowledge that 6 or so months have passed and water quality isn't always visible to the naked eye. :lol:
-Chris
papoopeepoo

Post Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:44 pm   Re: Is stacking filters as effective as one large one?

Yes, I guess 15 months could be considered 6 or so, because that is where I am at now. However I did test the water at about 12 months and it was still perfect.
5 inch RES male named Jordtim
Hardware: 75 gallon tank (21"H X 48"W X 18"D), FX5 filter with veipacray media setup, pool filter sand substrat, TurtleSafe halogen heat/UVA lamp and ReptiGlo 5.0 UVB lamp in ZooMed Dual Dome Fixture.
PridgNYC

Previous

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion