Equipment Review and Discussion :: internal vs canister filters

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:57 pm   internal vs canister filters

I run a Duetto 100 in my 95 gallon tank and my water is pretty clean, the only thing in there i don't like are the little tiny white particles floating around that's it. Why upgrade to a canister filter and whats the big deal with the UV sterilizzers can u still have plants and use them whats so good about them?
Redears2

Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:24 am   Re: internal vs canister filters

Clear water does not mean clean water. Yes you can use a UV sterilizer in a tank with plants. Filter types: http://www.redearslider.com/filters.html
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:54 am   Re: internal vs canister filters

For such a large tank, I would definitely get a canister filter. Internal filters are specifically designed for fish tanks. They don't have nearly the mechanical filter capacity that an external filter would have. Mechanical filtration is most important with turtle tanks. Also, you will save room in the tank by making the filter external.

Steve is right, clear water does not necessarily mean clean water.
-Chris
papoopeepoo

Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:25 pm   Re: internal vs canister filters

My plan is to make a wet dry filter with three or four sections like a canister filter, I work with acrylic so getting the main body parts are no problem and the filter media is also no big deal along with the pump/pumps.

I just still dont see the benefits of a canister filter offers that you cant get from a DIY wet/dry filter. As far as space goes there is plenty in the tank for my turtle and he doesnt seem to be bothered by havin them in there.
Redears2

Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:13 pm   Re: internal vs canister filters

The volume of the canister is where the benefit is. A canister can pump more water thru more media, making a much better water quality. If you seen some of the canisters then you would see how much more they can hold and how much flexibility they offer.
http://www.photobucket.com/Toku
Toku's build thread, click link below;
http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34068
2 Male Rio Grande RES
1 Spiny Softshell

"Live Life"
slider_keeper

Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:44 am   Re: internal vs canister filters

slider_keeper wrote:The volume of the canister is where the benefit is. A canister can pump more water thru more media, making a much better water quality. If you seen some of the canisters then you would see how much more they can hold and how much flexibility they offer.

I'm gonna make a filter like a canister filter.
Redears2

Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:45 pm   Re: internal vs canister filters

A diy canister it a great idea, please share when you build it;)
http://www.photobucket.com/Toku
Toku's build thread, click link below;
http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34068
2 Male Rio Grande RES
1 Spiny Softshell

"Live Life"
slider_keeper

Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:01 pm   Re: internal vs canister filters

slider_keeper wrote:A diy canister it a great idea, please share when you build it;)

yea shure no problem Im thinking about makin it 16" x 16" x 32" then dividing the 32 into four parts with two of them being a little smaller than the rest to fit the pumps im gonna put two 600GPH pumps in there so it will turn the tank over about 6 times in an hour i have a 95 gallon tank this is the plan so far if u or anyone here sees a problem with my math/ numbers please let me know so i can see if i can adjust? i really just wanna make a monster filter for very cheap dough and the only thing i gotta buy is the media,pumps and hoses or pvc. The pumps i priced at about $30 each I'll say about $50-$100+ for media so i'll have extra of course and about another $50 for PVC/hoses so I'll put together about $150-$200 to spend just in case but anyway this is the start to a good plan I think! I'll post everything though with pics.
Redears2

Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:35 pm   Re: internal vs canister filters

The biggest challenge to diy filtration is designing a system that won't result in all the water in your tank ending up on the floor in the event that something goes wrong, ie. power failure, pump failure, siphon failure, low water levels, etc. Good luck. There's lots of good info available, I prefer to spend my 300 bucks on a proven design like the fx5, but DIY is a good learning experience.
5 inch RES male named Jordtim
Hardware: 75 gallon tank (21"H X 48"W X 18"D), FX5 filter with veipacray media setup, pool filter sand substrat, TurtleSafe halogen heat/UVA lamp and ReptiGlo 5.0 UVB lamp in ZooMed Dual Dome Fixture.
PridgNYC

Post Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:26 am   Re: internal vs canister filters

PridgNYC wrote:The biggest challenge to diy filtration is designing a system that won't result in all the water in your tank ending up on the floor in the event that something goes wrong, ie. power failure, pump failure, siphon failure, low water levels, etc. Good luck. There's lots of good info available, I prefer to spend my 300 bucks on a proven design like the fx5, but DIY is a good learning experience.

I hear that, I rearely have power outages though an my bathroom is next to the room ill have the tank so ill put an overflow on the filter or a big enough check valve
Redears2

Post Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:31 pm   Re: internal vs canister filters

Redears2 wrote:
PridgNYC wrote:The biggest challenge to diy filtration is designing a system that won't result in all the water in your tank ending up on the floor in the event that something goes wrong, ie. power failure, pump failure, siphon failure, low water levels, etc. Good luck. There's lots of good info available, I prefer to spend my 300 bucks on a proven design like the fx5, but DIY is a good learning experience.

I hear that, I rearely have power outages though an my bathroom is next to the room ill have the tank so ill put an overflow on the filter or a big enough check valve

I decided to put a check valve on there the intake tube, pumps state once the power goes off the pumps stop pumping either way ill have a double safety on there.
Redears2

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion