Equipment Review and Discussion :: Fluorescent Lights

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:16 pm   Re: Fluorescent Lights

Thats your choice, I only tell what I know and I have seen the effects from long term use with those bulbs. If it works for you then thats good. How big is your RES? If your turtles are bigger than 2 in. then those bulbs are not adequate for long term. A few years ago when these bulbs hit the market people started seeing problems arise. I know some say they have fixed it but if you look at the i/r imagery for a compact or if you look at the UVB output measurements you can see when put at a safe distance they only provide adequate UVB to the shell of your turtle. The shell does not absorb UVB. But like I said if you have it working then do what works for you.
http://www.photobucket.com/Toku
Toku's build thread, click link below;
http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34068
2 Male Rio Grande RES
1 Spiny Softshell

"Live Life"
slider_keeper

Post Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:03 am   Re: Fluorescent Lights

What bulbs and distance do you recommend? My res is about 3" and my map is about 2"
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:42 am   Re: Fluorescent Lights

I was on the slide of the MVBs but then I read a article from a herpetologist who did a study on them and found they can be like a compact UVB when it comes to larger turtles. The key is to have a bulb that emits UVB thru the whole basking zone (the foot print of a fully stretched out turtle). The only bulb that will accomplish this is the fluorescent UVB tubes. Right now the Reptisun from ZooMed and the Arcadia are thought to be the best choices. Although the Arcadia tubes are tough to find in the states. There is new bulbs coming out that seem promising but only time and use will tell.
http://www.photobucket.com/Toku
Toku's build thread, click link below;
http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34068
2 Male Rio Grande RES
1 Spiny Softshell

"Live Life"
slider_keeper

Post Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:56 pm   Re: Fluorescent Lights

If I change to a tube how far from the basking dock should it be? Do they make 5/10 like compacts?
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:31 pm   Re: Fluorescent Lights

Yes they do have 5.0 and 10.0. Check the directions for preferred distance (the 10.0 will likely be further away) but it should be similar to the compacts. The key things are to have a burn-in period and to look out for any eye irritation.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:39 pm   Re: Fluorescent Lights

Yea Steve,I was useing a 10.0 compact but it seemed to be messing with my map turtles eyes. He would rub them all the time. I use a 5.0 now and he stopped the rubbing.
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:16 pm   Re: Fluorescent Lights

steve wrote:Yes they do have 5.0 and 10.0. Check the directions for preferred distance (the 10.0 will likely be further away) but it should be similar to the compacts. The key things are to have a burn-in period and to look out for any eye irritation.

I've had my Male RES for about 4 years now, shell is about 4". Last time I took him to a herp vet they said he was extraordinarily strong and healthy. Lately I have been wanting to upgrade his environment. I have been working on an ATBA, which is almost finished (i'll post pictures afterwards) and am now thinking of changing a few other things. One being lighting.

Steve is it common knowledge that the basking bulbs in domes are not healthy for an RES? If the horizontal bulbs are preferred, how do you adjust the height as the bulb ages, as you would with a dome lamp on an adjustable stand.

I've seen some people's builds of beautiful ATBA's on this site, with gorgeous canopies - I imagine those light sources are fixed, right? So what should one do here?

Thanks!
mark_alexandre

Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:37 pm   Re: Fluorescent Lights

UVB tubes are considered to be more reliable and proven. CFLs are very convenient but don't have the same track record. There are several ways to adjust height since these can be hung as well.
steve
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion