Equipment Review and Discussion :: Filstar XP strainer - alternative???

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:39 pm   Filstar XP strainer - alternative???

So I set up a new Filstar XP-L less than a month ago. Everything's working great, but for the past few days my turtle has been fixated on the inlet strainer, trying to chomp away at it. This evening, I see a small blue plastic stick laying on the bottom of the aquarium - it seems my turtle has managed to break a piece off of it!

It seems the XP filter strainers are extremely weak - great for fish, I'm sure, but not for a strong 19 year old RES. With my previous set up (also an XP filter), she managed to bend 2 strainers to the point of needing replacement, and kept pulling the "intake pipe extensions" apart until I replaced them with a bit of aquarium hose. (I highly recommend this to anyone with an XP filter!)

So: I'm wondering if anyone knows of an alternative STRONGER inlet strainer that will fit my set up - or another solution I could try?

I've tried just discarding the strainer all together, but then she got her foot stuck... she freed herself, but it was traumatizing for both of us!

Thank you!
birdslikeleaves

Post Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:01 pm   Re: Filstar XP strainer - alternative???

If they wanted to, they could destroy or damage most things in their tank. I would consider using PVC pipe and cap, then drilling lots of holes into the pipe. Also pick up what ever clamps you need to adapt the hose to the pipe.

Good luck... getting her foot stuck must have been pretty scary!
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:51 pm   Re: Filstar XP strainer - alternative???

Thanks for the reply! I never would have thought of PVC pipe; that sounds like it will work perfectly!!
birdslikeleaves

Post Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:55 pm   Re: Filstar XP strainer - alternative???

Great, let us know how it works out for you.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion