Equipment Review and Discussion :: Filter for tank with sand bottom?

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:24 pm   Filter for tank with sand bottom?

Hi, I wanted to know what would be the best filter for a 29 gallon tank with a sanded bottom. My old filter (wasn't big enough for the tank anyway) did not appreciate the sand at all... However, the tetra whisper internal filter I have seems to do fine even when it gets sand in it.

Anyway, the Whisper is a 3-10 gallon filter. It's not near enough to keep the tank clean. So, I need a new filter ASAP.

I'll probably buy from drsfostersmith.com if I can get the filter at a better price there than I can at PetSmart. I've got some stuff I've got to get for my fish anyway.

So... Yeah. The tank's small for my poor turtle but It's the best I can do for now. He really should have a 40 gallon, not a 30. But, this tank's three times the size of the one he was in before.

So, with all of that in mind, what filter would be the best for this tank? As soon as I can get my fingers on a 125 gallon for my fish he'll have a bigger tank. I don't know when that will happen, though. Tanks that size are not cheap.
Don't you sit and judge me from some high and mighty seat. Don't you shrug it off until you've walked a mile in my bare feet. 'Cause there are people that you pass by every day with harder cards than yours in life to play.
Silvermist464

Post Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:01 pm   Re: Filter for tank with sand bottom?

I had purchased a fluval 406 for the original 20 gallon when I quickly realized the internal filter wouldn't cut it. I bought a filter that big because I knew I'd move to a 55 gallon soon.

I did not have sand in the 20, and the flow was a bit much for that size tank without turning it down a bit. However, if its a heavier sand, like pool filter sand, I'm certain that sized filter will work in a 29.

I have pool filter sand in my 55. Some sand gets sucked in, but not much. It has never been a problem for the filter.
Tobi a RES born in 2012
1 dog, 1 teenager, 3 aquariums filled with fish, snails, shrimp and a bit of algae
ljapa

Post Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:10 am   Re: Filter for tank with sand bottom?

Save up and buy a canister filter, it will be more cost effective in the long run. I had a Rena XP3 in a 20 gallon and still use it 7 years later in a 55 gallon.
I have playlot sand in my tank, and its really fine. The sand is heavy and dense enough to stay at the bottom and the intake tube typically are high enough not to pick up much sand.
devilduck

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion