Equipment Review and Discussion :: Filtration Media help?

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:26 pm   Filtration Media help?

I'm.... Very broke, So all I have is an old 50 and a Fluval 403. And no, getting a turtle as broke as I am was NOT my idea, But I do my best (His previous owner didn't have a clue what she was doing, and was dying). The thing is, up until getting this fluval, all I used were internal filters, with the nicely prepackaged filters, I've no idea what to use for this new canister filter. can you tell me what I should get? I've only got the foam part, and I need to know what else to get for the best quality of life for my little boy.
buggycas

Post Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:18 pm   Re: Filtration Media help?

Welcome to the forum! Here's our filter media thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30145#p288904

Bio media will last for the life of the filter and beyond, carbon can last a long time when bought in bulk.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:57 am   Re: Filtration Media help?

Thanks! I appriciate the help, but the 403's not on the list. The sponge takes up one of the canisters. Do I follow the instructions for the 404 only without one of the biomedias? also, what media do you personally recommend for a turtle?
buggycas

Post Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:47 am   Re: Filtration Media help?

Use the 404 instructions and don't use the sponges. The turtle waste tends to clog them.

Since you have them, you can use them, but you may find a need for more frequent filter cleaning.
Tobi a RES born in 2012
1 dog, 1 teenager, 3 aquariums filled with fish, snails, shrimp and a bit of algae
ljapa

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion