Equipment Review and Discussion :: Eheim Jager Heater broken- suggestions?

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:05 pm   Eheim Jager Heater broken- suggestions?

I searched and couldn't find another thread on here about a broken jager heater..

Anyway my heater was purchased in April, so it's still under warranty, but I'm having a hard time finding who to contact on the website (the North America links seem to not be working). I contacted the seller on Amazon, a discount pet store, and a woman there said to contact Eheim. The heater is a 150W. My problem is that it won't calibrate. It seemed to be working fine before I moved, but since I moved in August it only heats my tank (75 gal, about 75% full) to about 82 degrees F. I looked up online how to calibrate it, and so I tried turning the blue dial all the way in both directions and the light never turned off, so even though the temp in the tank was 76, whenever I turned the dial below 76 the light didn't go off. Maybe I was too impatient? But it seems like whatever temperature setting I try, the aquarium heats to ~82. I'm using a glass thermometer to measure the tank temperature.

And I have more questions about what to do with my turtle: My apartment is heated to about 68 degrees right now, and ideally I'd like it a bit cooler so my electric bill isn't so high. It's about 68 in Mr Bean's tank right now. I unplugged the heater because since it seemed to be on all the time, I didn't want it to overheat or anything. Should I just keep the heater in there til I can figure out how to get it replaced? Is 82 too warm? I'll measure the basking spot temp later with the glass thermometer.. Mr Bean tries to eat it whenever I put it in there so I have to be careful. Also- I'm probably leaving this weekend- should I put the heater back in the tank? There's no way I'm going to heat my apartment to 68 while I'm gone so his water temp would drop below that. Even with the temp at 82 he seems to be basking a lot...

Sorry this is so long! Thanks in advance :D
emilybean

Post Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:00 pm   Re: Eheim Jager Heater broken- suggestions?

Sounds like your heater is stuck in the ON position. I'd get that exchanged. But just to be sure you can try a different thermometer just to make sure your glass thermometer is accurate.

If your turtle is an adult, 82 is a bit on the high side. I keep my tank at 76-78F. If you keep your thermostat at 68 then your looking at a nearly 10 degree differential, you may need to go with a larger heater.
devilduck

Post Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:24 pm   Re: Eheim Jager Heater broken- suggestions?

Oh I didn't think of a larger heater because of room temperature, I was just thinking of tank size... Maybe I'll try to return this one and upgrade then? The thing about that temperature difference is that when the heater is on and it heats the water to 82, the water in the tank starts condensating on the tank lid and even on my window sill and window, it's gross and damp. I'm currently having an ant problem at that window, I don't need mold there as well. I'll try to get back to the pet store soon to buy another thermometer.

So what should I do in the meantime- keep the temp a little too warm or a little too cold? :( And yeah, my turtle is an adult.
emilybean

Post Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:42 pm   Re: Eheim Jager Heater broken- suggestions?

I found this number on another site, might be worth a shot -- 1-888-EHEIMNA (1-888-343-4662)

Between those temps, I would go with warmer but if the heater is acting up then I would just remove it altogether. :(
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:20 pm   Re: Eheim Jager Heater broken- suggestions?

Thanks for the number! I tried calling, and talked to a guy who said to reset to factory settings. Instead of telling me over the phone he emailed me the instructions with a couple photos.. basically I need to have the red arrow point to 79 degrees and have the back red pin aligned with the power cord and blue/white pin (in case anyone else has this issue!). So I'm going to try that later today.

I actually turned the heater on last night because I felt bad that the water was so cold. I might turn it off for the weekend, or attach it to the same timer that the basking lights are on (that way it's not running ALL the time, if I can't get it to work before then).

Also I just remembered- I got that size heater because I planned on buying a 55gal aquarium, but then I ended up with a 75. So yeah, a bigger heater would probably be best.
emilybean

Post Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:32 pm   Re: Eheim Jager Heater broken- suggestions?

Alright, let us know if the new instructions work.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:12 pm   Re: Eheim Jager Heater broken- suggestions?

I left the heater on over the weekend because I was feeling optimistic about this calibration/reset to factory settings. When I got home I checked the water temperature, it was 82, so I tried turning the temperature down last night. I measured it again, and it's still 82. Haven't been able to go to the store to buy a new thermometer yet, but it seems unlikely that my thermometer would be saying 82 all the time if the tank temp was actually going down :/ I sent an email to eheim with proof of purchase like they said, so hopefully I hear back from them! I guess this gives me a good excuse to keep my apartment warmer than usual 8)
emilybean

Post Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:28 am   Re: Eheim Jager Heater broken- suggestions?

I'm always a bit weary buying aquarium equipment from 3rd party sellers, hopefully you can get a replacement soon.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion