Equipment Review and Discussion :: BEST FILTER FOR TURTLE TANKS

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:28 pm   Re: BEST FILTER FOR TURTLE TANKS

Howdy everyone,

Sorry new here, hope no one minds me typing in an old forum topic. I have two RES turtles and am currently using a Fluval canister filter. I'm actually looking to switch to something much like ljapa has described (which btw if you can send me pictures, I would be extremely grateful so I can see how you have yours set up). To add to the conversation of the solids waste sinking to the bottom of the main tank, I was thinking once I do switch out the filtration system, of doing a reverse flow on an under gravel filter. That way, the water would flow up from the river pebbles (hopefully) pushing the waste up with it and then getting sucked into the intake tube. The my original thought process was simply to use an under gravel filter connected to an intake tube (somewhat similar to to what Eltemp is describing (can you let me know what youtube video you saw displaying this) to feed down to the sump, but I've read in other forums that individuals still had to vacuum the gravel in order to keep it clean and free of wastes depositing down at the bottom of the tank. Has anyone considered or attempted something like this before? Thoughts or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Best regards.
Henry

Post Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:35 am   Re: BEST FILTER FOR TURTLE TANKS

How big are your turtles and tank now?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:12 pm   Re: BEST FILTER FOR TURTLE TANKS

Unless you have a fairly large tank, I doubt that any type of undergravel solution would provide enough flow for proper tank turn over for rates to handle turtle waste.
I believe I've read that ideally you need something that provides 5-10x turnover per hour.
devilduck

Post Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:57 pm   Re: BEST FILTER FOR TURTLE TANKS

Here's an old picture. I have an FX6 in there now. And an MVB.

Close up of the refugium:

Tobi a RES born in 2012
1 dog, 1 teenager, 3 aquariums filled with fish, snails, shrimp and a bit of algae
ljapa

Previous

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion