Equipment Review and Discussion :: Need Help With MVB Bulb I think it May Bake my Turtle

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:18 am   Need Help With MVB Bulb I think it May Bake my Turtle

Hey Guys,

I bought a MVB bulb last night from petco and after setting it up I turned it on and its really bright and I think that could hurt the turtles eyes? Also I think it's too hot. I purchased a thermometer too, but it was broken out of the box (just like my filstar filter) so I can't test the temp. So I am hoping you could give me some advice. I don't really want to buy one online either because I don't want UPS to play kickball with it. Thanks for your help!

[admin-linked a smaller image]
jonathan1683

Post Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:32 am   Re: Need Help With MVB Bulb I think it May Bake my Turtle

MVBs are usually recommended for tanks that are 40, 55 gallons and up. A 160 Watt is also quite powerful, most use a 100 Watt. 2 immediate things... don't forget the burn-in period and make sure the distance is correct. Hopefully that would correct the temp and brightness.

How big/old is your turtle?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:48 am   Re: Need Help With MVB Bulb I think it May Bake my Turtle

thanks Steve my two turtles are young I have had them for 4 weeks maybe around two inches. my tank is only 20 gallons so I guess I need to get a regular UVB bulb :( I bought a large stand but it doesn't seem very long it's at the highest setting now. I will read some more about the burn in process I actually read about it searching for more info. does a regular UVB need to burn in?

thank you
jonathan1683

Post Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:01 am   Re: Need Help With MVB Bulb I think it May Bake my Turtle

Yes, all UVB should have a burn in period. You can always use that MVB down the line. A few people use shelves or plant hooks to hang their their lights, that's always an option if you want to try and use it.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:47 pm   Re: Need Help With MVB Bulb I think it May Bake my Turtle

My 160 watt MVB, a different brand, recommends a distance between 18 and 24" from the basking area.

I'd also add that I had a PowerSun, and found the UVB output was very low after a few months.
Tobi a RES born in 2012
1 dog, 1 teenager, 3 aquariums filled with fish, snails, shrimp and a bit of algae
ljapa

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion