Equipment Review and Discussion :: Fluval FX6 making slushing sounds

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:40 am   Fluval FX6 making slushing sounds

I just purchased a Fluval FX6 and installed it in the tank we are putting together 2 days ago. At first it seemed to be running great (quiet and cleaning the water well), but after some hours had past, the filter started to make some slushing sounds inside the canister. When I first noticed this issue, I unplugged the filter and plugged it back in. This causes the filter to start over its cycle and it starts by purging air out of the filter. After it completed this, it started running normally again. However, its been about 10hrs since I did that, and now it is making the same sounds again.

Does anyone have any idea why it is doing this and how I can make it stop? This is the first canister filter I've ever operated, so I'm pretty novice.
Rickiew04

Post Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:45 am   Re: Fluval FX6 making slushing sounds

Its possible air is getting inside. Are the intakes and outputs near each other? Make sure you're not using fine foam media and that all the connections are tight and there is no slack in the tubes.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:05 am   Re: Fluval FX6 making slushing sounds

Your filter could be collecting micro bubbles from the tank.. Other people have had this same issue.Your filter should turn off 2 times a day to let air out.I think fluval knew about this problem because the Fx5 only turns itself off once a day. Circulation pumps,bubble wands etc can cause micro bubbles.
Is your filter purging itself? It should 2x a day.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:22 pm   Re: Fluval FX6 making slushing sounds

I have a 55 gallon aquarium and I have the intake and outlet on opposite ends of the aquarium. I do have a bubbler, so maybe that is creating micro bubbles in the tank. I tried to position it so that the bubbles wouldn't be sucked into the intake. Sounds like this is something I'll have to live with. The pump does turn off and purge every 12 hours like it should. Thanks for your help!
Rickiew04

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion