Equipment Review and Discussion :: Buying an additional canister filter for my tank

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:55 pm   Buying an additional canister filter for my tank

Hi everyone, I have a 125 gallon tank with 2 RES and my API Filstar XP4 is just not keeping the water as clear as I want it to be, it also started making a little more noise than it used to. I want to add another canister filter to my tank to increase the filtration, which is the best to get? I found this one on Amazon, http://www.amazon.com/Penn-Plax-Cascade ... ter+filter
How good would this be? I like it because it is relatively cheaper compared to the others but how well does it perform? Thanks
mets3214

Post Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:58 pm   Re: Buying an additional canister filter for my tank

on my 125 gallon i have a fx5 and a cascade 1000 and they work like a dream for me
4 res
3 ybs
1 black knob sawback map
1 reg map
1 reg musk
2 razor back musk
1 king snake,1 ball python,1 red tailed boa,1 dumerils boa,1 leopard tortoise,1 leopard gecko,4 crested geckos,1 rose haired tarantula,3 bearded dragons,2 cats,4 dogs
mantis

Post Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:31 pm   Re: Buying an additional canister filter for my tank

Stay tuned and I'll have a review up on my recently purchased CFS700.
I build acrylic ATBAs.
Rubicon

Post Posted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:17 pm   Re: Buying an additional canister filter for my tank

Before you go out and buy more filtration, have a look at this thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30145#p288911

That link should have the optimal media configuration for a turtle setup. What are your ammonia / nitrite levels? <--THAT is how you size a filter. If your filter is keeping your tank cycled with 0/0 readings then you can try adding a bit of extra carbon or purigen to clear up the water. If your ammonia or nitrite is high, that's a good sign that your mechanical to biological ratio is off or not enough and a bigger filter is needed.

Bang for the buck the FX5 / FX6 is hard to beat for a turtle tank. I have both the FX5 and a XP4 and the FX5 runs circles around the XP4. IF you need to upgrade, you might consider the FX5/6 and selling the XP4 to offset some of the cost.

Cheers!
VeipaCray

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion