Equipment Review and Discussion :: Reptoguard turtle health conditioner and circulator

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:21 pm   Reptoguard turtle health conditioner and circulator

Quick couple of questions. First off is the reptoguard turtle health conditioner worth getting for my res? It wasn't bad buying one for a 20 gallon tank but I just upgraded to a 120 gallon tank and I would have to buy several according to label. Also do I need a circulator for the 120 gallon? I have a few bubblers in the tank and the FX6 cannister filter (which I'm guessing circulates the water well)
Ryano

Post Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:23 am   Re: Reptoguard turtle health conditioner and circulator

I'd skip it. How long have you had the filter/tank? I'd just use the FX with the recommended layout and check your water parameters... that will let you know if there needs to be any changes.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:58 am   Re: Reptoguard turtle health conditioner and circulator

The tank is used I just bought it, but the fx6 will be brand new. It's shipping from amazon now
Ryano

Post Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:00 am   Re: Reptoguard turtle health conditioner and circulator

Congrats on the tank and filter.You might want to add a maxi jet depending on how much debris stays on the tank bottom.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:19 am   Re: Reptoguard turtle health conditioner and circulator

Once it's up and going, I'll see what ends up hanging on bottom. I figured the turtle health conditioner was a gimmick but I'm pretty new to this so I wanted to check. What, if anything do you guys purchase extra to put in your tank? Anything that is necessary that I may be missing? Oh and one other question the tank is 2 foot deep. I got an above tank basking area. Now I wonder, from reading the forums, do I need something so Steve and Gertrude can rest in the water near the surface? If so I have no ideas on what to get to cover the 2 feet of depth. Maybe a zoomed floating log? I'm sorry to ask so much, but you guys seem to be great with this stuff and very helpful and I only want the best for Steve and Gert. Thanks again for all your help.
Ryano

Post Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:57 am   Re: Reptoguard turtle health conditioner and circulator

I don't use anything in the water. You can run your water through a whole house water filter to remove chlorine. Also put carbon in your filter and change it monthly. I have plastic plants with suction cups at the water surface for my turtles to rest in/on.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=33171
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:51 pm   Re: Reptoguard turtle health conditioner and circulator

Great idea Kansasslider, I like that.
Ryano

Post Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:11 pm   Re: Reptoguard turtle health conditioner and circulator

Yes, I'd probably add a ramp or something. It's more important for younger turtles to have though.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:23 pm   Re: Reptoguard turtle health conditioner and circulator

Steve, I have fake plants in my 2 tanks and all my turtles like to sleep in them. My turtles are all young though. Do you have fake plants? And if so does your turtle like them?
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:36 am   Re: Reptoguard turtle health conditioner and circulator

I don't have plants, but there is a small resin bridge that my female has and just rests on. She'll sometimes stand up on it to look out of the water. My male RES bites everything, so his tank is even more bare.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:13 am   Re: Reptoguard turtle health conditioner and circulator

Steve any ideas on a ramp? The tank is going to be filled all the way up with the basking area above the tank. It's a 2 foot deep aquarium so I'm not for sure how I should add a ramp besides the basking area ramp.
Ryano

Post Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:23 pm   Re: Reptoguard turtle health conditioner and circulator

Check out the ones from Kordon, they use suction cups.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:38 pm   Re: Reptoguard turtle health conditioner and circulator

I hear they are good for small turtles.
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:08 pm   Re: Reptoguard turtle health conditioner and circulator

Great ideas. Thank you
Ryano

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion