Equipment Review and Discussion :: Lighting

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:10 pm   Lighting

Ok so now that I've upgraded to a larger tank, I'm looking to upgrading my lighting. I'd like to get one light to do the heat and UVB. From what I have read this is an MVB bulb. So can anyone recommend a good MVB bulb and fixture for a 125 gallon tank? The basking area is above the tank and is about 36" long taking up half the tank. Also how far away from the basking area should it be? I'm still trying to earn about the lighting and it's a little confusing.
Ryano

Post Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:56 pm   Re: Lighting

You're right, you want a MVB. There are only 2 or 3 choices, and I'd give the Mega-Ray a try. They've had a lot of ups and downs, and it seems like it's sorted out. The distance will vary depending on the bulb type, wattage and brand. If I recall, I think it needs to be a bout 12-18" away.

There are number of clamp lamps... they will be a bit pricier than your standard ones. Zoo Med, Fluker, Zilla make them but you can also find ones in a hardware store. Just make sure it supports the wattage of your bulb and has a ceramic base.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:29 pm   Re: Lighting

I have a deep some now from the pet store with ceramic around the threads. What wattage should I get?? I'd like to be about 1' away since that's how tall the basking area is. Can you link me the type of bulb.
Ryano

Post Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:06 pm   Re: Lighting

I think this would be good: 100 Watt Self-Ballasted Flood UVB Lamp
http://www.reptileuv.com/shop/index.php ... cts_id=181
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:10 pm   Re: Lighting

For 12", you want the 100 watt

http://www.reptileuv.com/shop/index.php ... cts_id=181

Note: that's 12" from the surface of the bulb. I use the deep dome zoomed fixture with my MegaRay 160 watt. You want it to hang vertically, not on an angle. The MVB lights burn out much faster when angled.

I had a PowerSun MVB before getting the MegaRay. It was ver disappointing and ultimately provided less UVB than a cfl UVB bulb.
Tobi a RES born in 2012
1 dog, 1 teenager, 3 aquariums filled with fish, snails, shrimp and a bit of algae
ljapa

Post Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:18 pm   Re: Lighting

With a deep dome set on a screen 12 inches above the basking area should I go a little higher in wattage?
Last edited by Ryano on Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryano

Post Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:36 pm   Re: Lighting

Ryano wrote:With a deep dome set on a screen 12 inches above the basking area should I go a lite higher it wattage?

Hmmm. I honestly don't know. The 100 is recommended for 12" to 20", so I would think it would still be good. I don't know how much a screen cuts.

Honestly, I've heard good things about their response to questions. I'd ask them.
Tobi a RES born in 2012
1 dog, 1 teenager, 3 aquariums filled with fish, snails, shrimp and a bit of algae
ljapa

Post Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:20 pm   Re: Lighting

Thanks. I ordered that bulb. Think I will just find a way to set it on the top without a screen. A couple of wood slats or something
Ryano

Post Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:08 pm   Re: Lighting

I wouldn't set the bulb on the screen, try to hang it over one. Screen grids with 1/2" openings are recommended.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:57 pm   Re: Lighting

How long should I let the bulb burn in before I put in my basking area? Also once I start using the MVB I don't need the old basking bulb or my fluorescent UVB bulb correct?
Ryano

Post Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:53 pm   Re: Lighting

The MegaRay is supposed to be designed so it doesn't need the burn in period others do. That said, I did a ten hour burn in on mine, which is probably conservative.

This study is in much earlier versions of the MegaRay.

http://www.reptileuvinfo.com/html/mega- ... report.htm

But if you scroll down to figure 10, the rainbow bar chart, you can see that for most lamps tested the difference between 0.5 hours and 105 hours was minimal.

And, you are correct. The MVB lamp replaces your heat and flourescent UVB.
Tobi a RES born in 2012
ljapa

Post Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:56 am   Re: Lighting

Well I have found one deep dome fixture with a megaray 100w that was recommended above doesn't put out enough heat across my basking area. So I've ordered a dual deep dome fixture and a second 100w megaray. This would be ok I would think? It doesn't hurt to have this setup to cover a larger basking area right?
Ryano

Post Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:18 pm   Re: Lighting

Have you measured the temperatures?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:32 pm   Re: Lighting

Yes, I've used a couple of thermometers it was reaching around 85-86 directly under the light at surface. It's around a 18x18 basking area so I could prolly use two and be fine I think
Ryano

Post Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:14 am   Re: Lighting

One should be enough, I would at least try that first.
steve
Site Admin

Next

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion