Equipment Review and Discussion :: Can I use a Fluval 306 on a rubbermaid storage bin tank?

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:55 pm   Can I use a Fluval 306 on a rubbermaid storage bin tank?

Specifically this set-up will all be on ground level so my Fluval 306 will be on the same level as my storage bin. I just read that a tank should be higher than a fluval 306 for it to work properly. Is this true?
thequangsta

Post Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:29 am   Re: Can I use a Fluval 306 on a rubbermaid storage bin tank?

Unfortunately, yes, the filter needs to be lower than the water source. Canister filters use gravity to pull the water down via a siphon effect. They have surprisingly little pumping power to help return the water to the tank.

Can you raise your Rubbermaid container?
Tobi a RES born in 2012
1 dog, 1 teenager, 3 aquariums filled with fish, snails, shrimp and a bit of algae
ljapa

Post Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:09 am   Re: Can I use a Fluval 306 on a rubbermaid storage bin tank?

ljapa wrote:Unfortunately, yes, the filter needs to be lower than the water source. Canister filters use gravity to pull the water down via a siphon effect. They have surprisingly little pumping power to help return the water to the tank.

Can you raise your Rubbermaid container?

That is a possibility but I dont know if I will build/buy a stand for it because I am not living in anywhere permanent for more than 2 years.

Are there other options for filtering a 45 gallon bin?
thequangsta

Post Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:19 am   Re: Can I use a Fluval 306 on a rubbermaid storage bin tank?

How about raising it with cinder blocks? It's possible to get the filter running, but priming will be a challenge.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion