Equipment Review and Discussion :: Mega ray 100watt Bulb

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:58 pm   Mega ray 100watt Bulb

My question is the height the distance from the bulb to the bottom of the basking area or to the top of turtle? I have mine 13" above the basking area bottom, but Yertle tends to lay off to the side close to water access. I am not sure if its because the light is too close or he is skittish enough to want to be near water access. Goodness knows he jumps into the water all the time when he thinks anyone is too close. Also, since I have been using the Mega ray his skin is darker than it was, I don't think that he is sick or anything, his colors just seem to be darkening up. He was not in the greatest shape when I got him so I am not sure if this is just him doing better with better care or if he has an issue going on. The nearest reptile vet is an hour away and difficult to get an appointment with, was considering taking him to my regular vet just to make sure he did not have a fungal issue or anything. I can get into my vet quickly and they are very good with my other pets, i trust them completely. Is there any place on the site that has pictures of common turtle problems? Thanks.
Mimi2cas

Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:29 pm   Re: Mega ray 100watt Bulb

Are there directions included? Is this the self-ballasted version? I think the older T-Rex bulbs asked for 12-16". How long have you been using it? I think getting darker is normal as they grow older. Males will become even darker as the become melanastic. Many people do report their turtles becoming darker when moved outside, I think a MVB can have a similar effect.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:58 am   Re: Mega ray 100watt Bulb

From their web site the min is 12" the max is 20". As long as the basking temp is OK you should be fine. They talk about basking area "Heat" on their site.

http://www.reptileuv.com/shop/index.php ... f071dd017e
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:33 am   Re: Mega ray 100watt Bulb

I have the self ballasted bulb. I was worried a little because the red stripes on his head started to not look very good, but they are looking better, he may have just been shedding or maybe simply his body adjusting to the best lighting he has probably ever had. My husband says I worry too much about our four legged friends and that I should relax a little bit as I take good care of them! He was not in the greatest shape when I got him. Just lack of knowledge more than anything else. Thanks for the references, I am going to hang his light slightly higher when i get his new home completed, hopefully before the end of the month.
Mimi2cas

Post Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:29 pm   Re: Mega ray 100watt Bulb

I think they become darker and more vibrant under MVB or being outdoors. Males will become darker anyway when they become melanistic.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion