Equipment Review and Discussion :: Advice needed: would this be a good filter.

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:41 pm   Advice needed: would this be a good filter.

I found this filter online http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fish-Canister-External-3-Stage-Filter-Pump-For-Aquarium-Pond-Pump-Fish-Tank-New/34744363

I don't know much about filters but I've been hearing that upgrading to a canister filter would be a good idea. This seemed like a good price from others I've looked at but if it's just going to be a cheap piece of junk I don't want to waste my money. Right now I have a 10 gallon tank but plan on upgrading when a good deal comes along or if my little guy seams like he's starting to outgrow it.

There's also this one http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fish-Canister-External-5-Stage-Filter-Pump-For-Aquarium-Pump-Fish-Tank-New/29608057

Which is a 5-stage filter vs the 3-stage link above.

Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Manx~Coheed
Yorkie~Cambria
Turtle~Donatello
AndreaF590

Post Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:51 am   Re: Advice needed: would this be a good filter.

I don't know anything about those filters. Three stage is enough room for media. You don't need a 5 stage. How many gph you want depends on tank size. Keep in mind you can't really over filter so the more gph the better.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:21 am   Re: Advice needed: would this be a good filter.

It's a generic filter being sold by a 3rd party. They have it listed for $10 cheaper on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/3610263736 ... 1026373637

I would pass on these. Whats your tank size and budget?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:24 pm   Re: Advice needed: would this be a good filter.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Well right now my tank is 10 gallons but I also found an add on craigslist last night for a 75 gallon "high" tank that comes with a custom cabinet, a canister filter, under gravel filter and some other things. And it's in the same city I live in, which most stuff is in the bigger city nearby. They want $150 which I thought sounded like a good deal. I'll add a picture. I plan on contacting the seller later to see if it's still available and what kind of filter.

Also, I don't really have a set price range but I'd like to keep prices down where possible.
Attachments
image.jpg
Manx~Coheed
Yorkie~Cambria
Turtle~Donatello
AndreaF590

Post Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:38 pm   Re: Advice needed: would this be a good filter.

That actually looks like a good deal. The filter looks to be a re-branded sun sun.
devilduck

Post Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:47 am   Re: Advice needed: would this be a good filter.

It's a little high to me, but check the condition of the tank and equipment. Resealing a tank is not hard but takes a lot of patience. Any nicks or small cracks will get worse over time no matter where it is. Re-measure the tank, a lot of times people are wrong about the size of the tank (L x W x H then divide by 231 to get the gallon size). Make a point about how you can't use most of the stuff included to drive the price down a bit :)
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:25 am   Re: Advice needed: would this be a good filter.

Great advice! The ad says it's water tight so hopefully that's true. The ad was posted two months ago an updated a month ago. It also says "must go now!" So if it's still available hopefully I can get them to some down on the price.
Manx~Coheed
Yorkie~Cambria
Turtle~Donatello
AndreaF590

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion