Equipment Review and Discussion :: My heater broke!!! Advice please.

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:40 pm   My heater broke!!! Advice please.

I purchased an Aqueon Submersible Aquarium Heater 100 Watt. Well it had always kept my twater temp about 78 degrees. (And when I say about I have an electronic thermometer that always read 78.2 to maybe 78.6) Yesterday I noticed the temp was 77. So I kept an eye on it and at one point it did get back up to 78 (I never adjusted the temp on the heater) and today it's back at 77. Today I heard this horrible very faint high pitched squeal (hum?) and was trying to figure out if it was the filter. The heater and the output are pretty close on the same side so I put my ear right on the glas of the tank by the heater and knew it was the heater. So I unplugged the heater and the noise stopped. Uggggh. I hope it didn't cause any electrical shocks in the water! I put my hand in the water when it was on to feel the temp and didn't feel anything noticeable.

I found my receipt. I purchased the heater from petco 12/8/14 and today is 2/8/15 and petco has a 60 day return policy. I'm about to return it but I need to get a new heater today but I'm not sure if I want to get the same one after what happened. I also have a petsmart nearby and am wondering if anyone has any reccomendations for heaters I could find at either of these places?
Manx~Coheed
Yorkie~Cambria
Turtle~Donatello
AndreaF590

Post Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:56 pm   Re: My heater broke!!! Advice please.

Also, when I got the heater in went into a new tank I was setting up for my turtle. Is it safe to put in a new heater while the turtle is in the tank? I'll be home so I can monitor the temp.
Manx~Coheed
Yorkie~Cambria
Turtle~Donatello
AndreaF590

Post Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:28 am   Re: My heater broke!!! Advice please.

The nice thing about Aqueon is they have a Lifetime Warranty. I would just swap it out for another. Eheim also makes a good heater but I'm not sure Petco etc carry them. Yes you can put it right in the tank. Do you have your stuff plugged into a GFCI outlet?
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:50 am   Re: My heater broke!!! Advice please.

The only noise I ever hear from a heater is a click when it turns on. I'd swap it too (doesn't matter which brand) and if you get a better one (Aqueon Pro or Eheim?) and keep it around as a backup.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion