Equipment Review and Discussion :: Trouble Getting Syphon with Rena XP-M

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Sat May 30, 2015 3:24 pm   Trouble Getting Syphon with Rena XP-M

Hey guys,

Every time I do a filter change this thing drives me nuts it never seems to want to get a syphon and I have the keep filling it from that tube till it gets complete full before it starts to work. Which is very tedious.

Do you know what could be causing the issue?

this is what I am doing.

1. I leave the lever up unscrew the cap on the top of the intake tube.
. start filling like two bottles of water like 12 ounch bottle close the cap. I have tried many combinations and i dont know how much water is needed to get a syphon.
3. pull the lever down and nothing happens.

I keep doing this over and over and over till i turn it on and eventually the motor will start pushing out small amounts of water till it gets completely going.

The tank will never auto fill itself :(
jonathan1683

Post Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:20 am   Re: Trouble Getting Syphon with Rena XP-M

Is the filter empty of water? It needs to be empty, so once you fill the water through the cap (they should have given you a funnel) you close the cap, then push the lever down. It should take a few minutes to prime. You'll hear air being pushed from the outlet hose. Once the air stops, let it sit for a few. Gently rock it back and forth. Wait again, then plug it in.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:23 am   Re: Trouble Getting Syphon with Rena XP-M

Also, if you don't clean the intake tubes, then put a plastic wrap or sandwich bag over the inlet and secure it (rubber bands work) after you unplug the filter. That way the hoses stay primed when the tank is empty and the canister removed.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:11 am   Re: Trouble Getting Syphon with Rena XP-M

Thank you Steve I will give that a try next time. I don't know why it's always such a paint but I spend like 20 mins just trying to get it working. I always start out empty but it never seems to get moving till I fill it up.
jonathan1683

Post Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:45 am   Re: Trouble Getting Syphon with Rena XP-M

Yea, it's a pain. For the first time I had the XP filter leak after I cleaned it. Fortunately I keep it in a storage container to catch such leaks. So after 10 years, it finally paid off :lol:
steve
Site Admin

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion