Equipment Review and Discussion :: How are you guys holding up your heat lamps?

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:02 am   How are you guys holding up your heat lamps?

Hey Guys,

Today I had a issue with my new turtle tank. I had the heat lamp and the UVB lamp on top of the hood glass and the glass broke and fell into the fish tank im guessing from the heat? Luckily the turtles left the glass alone (very unlike them they bite everything) but now I don't have a any uvb or heat for them. I just purchased a mega ray 60 watt MVB for $60 bucks (ouch) now I also need a stand to hold this bulb. I already have two different bulb holders, but my last stand was held on my double sided foam tape which I could not salvage from my 20 gallon tank. So I don't know what is the best option. I can't connect anything to the roof and im not really fond of taping it like my old one. I also don't want to waste anymore money on things that don't work right. Also I am a little afraid of the turtles knocking the other big hood light into the water, if these lamps had actually fell in the water would it of killed them? They got really lucky only an 1 inch by 5 inch of glass broke and fell in and it didn't completely collapse so the lights didn't fall in.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
jonathan1683

Post Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:52 am   Re: How are you guys holding up your heat lamps?

Those stick on stands usually have after market replacement strips you can buy. I've seen some nice setups where people hang the light from the ceiling or hang a shelf to the wall above the tank and attach the lamp to that.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:20 pm   Re: How are you guys holding up your heat lamps?

I found this looking for the strips you were talking about. I think this is a better option since putting a back ground on my tank was difficult with the lamp stand attached to it as well. Do you think placing this under the tank is safe?
jonathan1683

Post Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:55 pm   Re: How are you guys holding up your heat lamps?

Is there a link to what you're talking about? Though I think I know what it is...
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:36 pm   Re: How are you guys holding up your heat lamps?

Clamp lights or chins hung from the ceiling worked for me.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:11 am   Re: How are you guys holding up your heat lamps?

I ended up getting this which works http://m.petco.com/product/5011/Zoo-Med ... gQoduekD1g
jonathan1683

Post Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:13 am   Re: How are you guys holding up your heat lamps?

Just make sure you mount the base or put something heavy on it so it won't tip over.
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:24 pm   Re: How are you guys holding up your heat lamps?

the tank is on top of it. its not going anywhere
jonathan1683

Post Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:20 pm   Re: How are you guys holding up your heat lamps?

That's great!
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:38 am   Re: How are you guys holding up your heat lamps?

Jonathan I used the same stand. When I built my ATBA I cut off the base of the stand and used epoxy to attach the tubing receiver to the back of my wooden ATBA.
VeipaCray

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion