Equipment Review and Discussion :: Easy to maintain filter for 75 gal tank?

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:12 pm   Re: Easy to maintain filter for 75 gal tank?

Sumps, if I recall are not all efficient for RES. Is this going to go under the tank? Do you have a link to it?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:59 pm   Re: Easy to maintain filter for 75 gal tank?

No I don't have an exact link for it because it's kind of my own design so to speak lol , but I have a canister filter on it too , a magnum 350 pro
2 RES Males , God and Lucifer
the-turtle-Girl

Post Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:59 pm   Re: Easy to maintain filter for 75 gal tank?

I've been calling my sump a 35 gal it's actually 20 gallons Long ..
the-turtle-Girl

Post Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:13 pm   Re: Easy to maintain filter for 75 gal tank?

I've mentioned it before, but I wish there were kits to convert 5-gallon buckets into canisters. Lots of possibilities and then we can spend that money on larger tanks :)
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:45 pm   Re: Easy to maintain filter for 75 gal tank?

Actually I've seen people use 5 gallon buckets as canisters , just not sure how to go about that lol I might look it
Up on how to do it tho
the-turtle-Girl

Post Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:38 pm   Re: Easy to maintain filter for 75 gal tank?

Actually I had an awesome idea , instead of cutting up a 5 gallon bucket , I'm gunna run an overflow from my tank down into the 5 gallon bucket and then fill the 5 gall bucket with my media and some drip plates and then at the bottom of the bucket place my power head on its side and cut a hole in the side of the bucket and place a bulkhead and a ball valve and some hose to run as the return to the tank and I'm gunna use a regular siphon like a python but idk what brand this one is , to attach the over flow . It's 1-1/2 inch wide , I'm gunna use a 17 inch long peice of 2 inch wide pvc with an end cap to use as the actual overflow , but that way if the power goes out or something once the water that's in the tube gets sucked up the siphon will break , and it's got a plunger thing on it that I can squeeze to restart the siphon :)
the-turtle-Girl

Post Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:24 pm   Re: Easy to maintain filter for 75 gal tank?

Or should I just buy a Cfs 500 and put that and my magnum 350 on it ? That would still be 850 gph on the tank just less work , but can you put different media in it or does it have to be special media ?
the-turtle-Girl

Post Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:41 pm   Re: Easy to maintain filter for 75 gal tank?

steve wrote:Sumps, if I recall are not all efficient for RES. Is this going to go under the tank? Do you have a link to it?

As a guy running a refugium for over three years, I'm going to rephrase that as "a sump alone is a bad idea for a RES."

You basically can't have a sump drawing far below the water because a power outage or pump failure means your main aquarium water ends up all over the floor. I use a hang over overflow. Reef tanks are built with internal overflows that are still quite high in the water column.

As we all know, turtle waste sinks. And there's a lot of it. Canisters have this large siphon pulling in water near the bottom of the water column, which pulls in some turtle waste, or all of it when Tobie gets too much lettuce :lol:

My sump, in addition to my canister, though, proved is superior filtration. I have gallons of biomedia, and the duckweed even pulls out enough nitrate that I can extend my water changes. When Tobie was smaller, nitrates were almost undetectable and I only did water changes because I figured there were trace minerals that needed replacing and other pollutants building up my tests couldn't detect.

So, sump alone, bad. Sump plus canister, good.
Tobi a RES born in 2012
1 dog, 1 teenager, 3 aquariums filled with fish, snails, shrimp and a bit of algae
ljapa

Post Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:24 pm   Re: Easy to maintain filter for 75 gal tank?

I have a magnum 350 rated at 350 gph lol so I wanted to build either a sump OR my own canister filter using a 500 gph power head and a 5 gallon bucket either that or I'm gunna get a cfs 500 that plus my mag it's would be 850 gph , but if I build the canister filter I can put as much media into it that I want , and I can make the hoses extra long to reach the bottom of the tank to suck up turtle poop .
the-turtle-Girl

Post Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:37 pm   Re: Easy to maintain filter for 75 gal tank?

This is what I have planned , my writing sucks lol and I can't draw at allll Lolol but hey I tried , this is what I came up with :)
Attachments
image.jpeg
the-turtle-Girl

Post Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:43 pm   Re: Easy to maintain filter for 75 gal tank?

Thanks for the clarification ljapa! Anything outside of canisters and some h-o-t filters is over my head :lol:
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:46 pm   Re: Easy to maintain filter for 75 gal tank?

I have a magnum 350 for my 55 and it does a really good job with 5 small turtles :)
the-turtle-Girl

Post Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:48 pm   Re: Easy to maintain filter for 75 gal tank?

I'll hopefully have a 75 with in the next week or so !!! As soon as my
Boyfriends taxes come back yayayayayay !
the-turtle-Girl

Post Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:48 pm   Re: Easy to maintain filter for 75 gal tank?

Why do you need a drip plate? And you don't need bio balls AND ceramic media.

Refer to this image
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:58 pm   Re: Easy to maintain filter for 75 gal tank?

But wouldn't more media give bacteria more space to grow ?
the-turtle-Girl

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion