Equipment Review and Discussion :: Help me pick a tank

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:23 pm   Help me pick a tank

I'm trying to decide to get a 40 Gallon "Square" tank or a 55 Galon "Rectangle tank"

http://www.petsmart.com/fish/aquariums/ ... %3Dfaceted
http://images.craigslist.org/00n0n_k8M3 ... 00x450.jpg

The price is actually cheaper for the 55 since it's craiglist. However would the turtles be happier in the 40 (wide) or 55(tall/long)

3 and 2 inch

Update: It seems Petco is having a sale today! OMW NOW! (Impulsive very much)

Thank you.
1x 3in RES (Beifong)
1x 2in RES (Katara)
Inspired by Avatar, but their character fits so perfectly!
iEzTech

Post Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:19 pm   Re: Help me pick a tank

You might as well get a 55 gallon because you will probably have to upgrade again later. If one of the turts is a male, you will likely have to separate him from the other male or female.

The 40 gallon you mention is a "breeder" tank. Very nice starter tanks. You can keep a male RES in there for a few years, but a female will outgrow it (and the 55 gallon).
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:48 pm   Re: Help me pick a tank

Hello,

I'm sorry to disappoint but I decided on the 40 Gallon for now due to the distance needed to drive to the guys house and the size. I really just wanted something shorter and wider, I'm trying to get something like this built. \

So now that I have a tank, I need some help deciding what I can buy to get what I need for the habitat.

I need only the following, since I'm not 100% what's out in the market that will work I would love your expert advice.

A Filter,
A new UVB,UVB,Basking light,
A new basking light. (Tubular)
A water flow thingy (if filter isn't enough)

Here's what I want to do with my turtle tank.

I've created this to get the measurements out and my own custom one (I've made room for a canister filter!! and height for lights all sides should have 4 inches of room all around.

Now I know this is not gonna be easy, But I'm going to be building my own table so I can make room for the right things.

Currently the tank is 36L X 18W X 16H - I'm thinking I can do 42L X 24W X 24H.

I'm thinking of adding live plants ( I know I'll probably be replacing them a bit) and I've read the UVB/A light can replace the actual grow light, but can any of these replace UVB/A for turtles?

If not the above, can I get away with adding this one on the left top side and another one for basking on the right?
Image (UVB)
Image (Basking)

BTW I'm thinking of also adding some fans to dispense the lamp heat (If you think this would be needed)

Filter I have in mind Image
Or maybe a submersible Fluval? Link: http://amzn.com/B001XRXY1G

I know many of you will recommend a canister but it doesn't seem to fit unless I make the table huge.

I welcome all ideas and critiques. I know typically this would be great for fish, but Why can't turtles be the center of attention ? I just like watching them and don't want them pushed into the corner of my living room.

p.s. I will update this post with more pictures of products I've found that I think could work.
1x 3in RES (Beifong)
1x 2in RES (Katara)
iEzTech

Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:39 pm   Re: Help me pick a tank

40 gallons are pretty nice too, no worries about it. I don't think you need specific grow lights for aquatic plants. For lighting, I think being hanging it from a shelf or the ceiling is a bit better. You will want to raise the tank, so you can add filter and storage space. Aqua Clears are OK filters, I think the 110 is the largest they have.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:55 pm   Re: Help me pick a tank

Thanks Steve, so having the UVB is necessary and the LED grow plants won't substitute?
1x 3in RES (Beifong)
1x 2in RES (Katara)
iEzTech

Post Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:09 am   Re: Help me pick a tank

Yes, the LED cannot substitute as far I know. Meter testing and wavelength info is needed before they should be considered. If you're on a schedule, I'd go with regular UVB lights and skip the LED stuff for now.

Edited
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:32 pm   Re: Help me pick a tank

Yeah I'm on a schedule but only to get them into a bigger tank. I'm sure I can fit the UVB and Basking light since I'm going to build the setup myself.

Update: - > Do you think it would be a bad idea to place the basking on the sides and beam them into the aquarium through the glass?
1x 3in RES (Beifong)
1x 2in RES (Katara)
iEzTech

Post Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:59 pm   Re: Help me pick a tank

Glass blocks uvb.
Tobi a RES born in 2012
1 dog, 1 teenager, 3 aquariums filled with fish, snails, shrimp and a bit of algae
ljapa

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:16 pm   Re: Help me pick a tank

Yeah I'm aware of that one, I was thinking about the heating lamp. I ended up switching everything up and built a simple stand.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37536
1x 3in RES (Beifong)
1x 2in RES (Katara)
iEzTech

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion