Equipment Review and Discussion :: Lots of Equipment Questions for a Newbie

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:49 am   Re: Lots of Equipment Questions for a Newbie

I just found the Sand Sand FAQ, i think I just found my solution.
NYstyle

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:37 pm   Re: Lots of Equipment Questions for a Newbie

That sand is for saltwater tanks only! Do not add it to your tank. As for your other question all sand gives a large area for bacterial growth. The good kind! They make white pool filter sand called Mystic White II. I'm getting ready to change my tank to that sand. Right now I have petco white sand.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:45 pm   Re: Lots of Equipment Questions for a Newbie

Thanks. I realize that now, I asked the question in Amazon and got a ton of responses. I JUST got back from Lowes. Picked up some play sand. It's rinsing as I type.
NYstyle

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:51 pm   Re: Lots of Equipment Questions for a Newbie

It takes some time to get it clean. I think your turtle will love it! I just like white sand but I'm strange that way!!
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:59 pm   Re: Lots of Equipment Questions for a Newbie

i tried playsand, didn't work out too well so i went with bare bottom. when i was trying to clean the play sand 99% of it ended up put of the bucket (i'm thinking i had the hose pressure on too high). if you take your time to do it right (and it will take some time) you should be fine, i was just too lazy and impatient.good luck!
YonkasTone

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:38 pm   Re: Lots of Equipment Questions for a Newbie

I rinsed the first half bucket for maybe 20 min, the second half for 30 in the tub. Hind sight, the hose with a nozzle on the "jet" setting for 30 min is probably what I needed to do. The waters pretty murky. They'll have to enjoy their temporary home for the night.
NYstyle

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:39 pm   Re: Lots of Equipment Questions for a Newbie

I'm a sand fan. As you your original question about sand removing nitrate and promoting bacterial growth, well it certainly adds lots more surface area for the good bacteria to grow.

The nitrate removal? Possibly, but not so you would notice with a turtle.

I had read all about bacteria, substrates, etc... And had run across the nitrate removal concept with deep sand beds. The concept is that the bacteria that convert nitrate into nitrogen, which leaves the tank, are anaerobic. They need an oxygen free environment. They can grow deep in the sand.

A danger is that you can also get hydrogen sulfide, which gives a rotten egg smell and can be dangerous in the tank, particularly to gill breathers. Though, if the sand is undisturbed, as the hydrogen sulfide rises into areas of the sand with oxygen, other baceria will neutralize it before it reaches the water column.

I went with a deep 3+" sand bed and then a few months later when I added a refugium, I put in 4 or 5 inches in that. I've had that for three years now. I had fish, shrimp and snails. I've not had any issues because of hydrogen sulfide, and I've had the black bacterial growth deep in the sand that signals I've had bacteria producing it.

However, I've not noticed any appreciable change in nitrate reduction until I added floating plants to the refugium.
Last edited by ljapa on Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tobi a RES born in 2012
1 dog, 1 teenager, 3 aquariums filled with fish, snails, shrimp and a bit of algae
ljapa

Post Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:45 pm   Re: Lots of Equipment Questions for a Newbie

ljapa,
Do you have sand in your turtle tank as well. I think so but can't remember. I'm also a fan of sand as substrate.
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:31 pm   Re: Lots of Equipment Questions for a Newbie

Kansasslider wrote:ljapa,
Do you have sand in your turtle tank as well. I think so but can't remember. I'm also a fan of sand as substrate.

I do. That's the one that's around 3 inches deep.

Now that Tobie is larger, she digs around in it a lot. When she disturbed it less and I had the small white worms in the substrate, the fish would always be down there whenever she'd push off because she'd disturb some and they'd get a free live snack.

Now, either the tank is older or she digs so much, I never see them.

I just wish she'd do it in the one spot where the blue green algae wants to grow!
Tobi a RES born in 2012
1 dog, 1 teenager, 3 aquariums filled with fish, snails, shrimp and a bit of algae
ljapa

Previous

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion