Equipment Review and Discussion :: [Advise Needed] RES bites my filter

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:58 am   Re: [Advise Needed] RES bites my filter

I'd go for a canister as well. If you want to make a simple mod, get some pvc pipe and drill some holes into it. You can do this for in inlet and out (spray bar style).

Some RES are pretty aggressive about some or all things. It sucks, but they sometimes grow out of it.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:24 am   Re: [Advise Needed] RES bites my filter

Hey steve:) nice to see u again. Ive been talking to my local fish store about terrapins. He told me its okay to have a submerged filter for terrapin tanks as well for better bacterial infusion, will that be able to pull off? He even said OHF and canister filter are more suitable for planted tanks with fish. I get some hope upon hearing that, especially when im facing a budget issue.
swifty

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:00 pm   Re: [Advise Needed] RES bites my filter

Better bacterial infusion? Any canister will allow you to add bio media. Submerged filters just take up more space and are not as efficient. I'd recommend a canister if you need to do some heavy filtering.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:35 am   Re: [Advise Needed] RES bites my filter

Thats what he told me. Hahaha. I thought i was learning something new! Ah well, my tank is placed on the floor. Need to find a new stand for the external canister.
swifty

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:34 am   Re: [Advise Needed] RES bites my filter

How big is the tank? I've seen some simple stands made out of cinder blocks and plywood, you just need to make sure everything is level.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:18 am   Re: [Advise Needed] RES bites my filter

Mine is 3ft x 1.5ft. Though i wish to save more, i dont have access to those materials. So for me getting a stand is more convenient. Ill try finding a second hand stand
swifty

Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:39 pm   Re: [Advise Needed] RES bites my filter

Swifty, I used to have that problem with one of my res's. If you only have turtles you could try what I did. Buy some pvc larger then the filter pipe, use 2 elbows to make a hanger and drill holes, cut slots or cut out a chunk of the pvc thats facing the back wall. Then slide the filter pipe inside it. I didnt worry about using an end cap as my tank is bare so the pvc pipe was touching the glass bottom. I also used a few suction cups pushed into the holes made to keep the pipes from moving too much.
Inmate1024

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:55 pm   Re: [Advise Needed] RES bites my filter

You just have a naughty turtle! Kinda like my cat Twister. Gave him the right name....
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:33 am   Re: [Advise Needed] RES bites my filter

Inmate1024 wrote:Swifty, I used to have that problem with one of my res's. If you only have turtles you could try what I did. Buy some pvc larger then the filter pipe, use 2 elbows to make a hanger and drill holes, cut slots or cut out a chunk of the pvc thats facing the back wall. Then slide the filter pipe inside it. I didnt worry about using an end cap as my tank is bare so the pvc pipe was touching the glass bottom. I also used a few suction cups pushed into the holes made to keep the pipes from moving too much.

I can roughly figure out and make up what ure trying to explain here, but i think my current filter would not be so easily dislodged by my aggressively naughty terrapin, mayb i should name him The Destroyer. Hahaha :D

I bought a sunsun canister HW-302 to replace my OHF. But the intake pipe isnt working really well, if anyone used this before mayb i can get some advice? The connection from the J pipe to the "joint of dirtiness entrance" thats what they call it, water leaks out from there. How do i actually fix that do that water can be siphoned properly?
swifty

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:44 am   Re: [Advise Needed] RES bites my filter

I don't have any of those filters, but what kind of connection is it using?
steve
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion