Equipment Review and Discussion :: Thoughts on Penn-plax cascade internal filters

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:57 pm   Thoughts on Penn-plax cascade internal filters

Hello,

I am prepping for the arrival of a couple of baby Mississippi Map Turtles and I am looking into equipment. I believe I am going to house them in a 35gal rubbermaid container and fill 1/2 to 2/3 of the way. I was looking at filters and the penn-plax cascade internal filters caught my eye. I got my sight set on the 400 and 600 model, however I think the 400 may be better because its 20 gal rated instead of 50 like the 600. I am guessing the 600 would put to much stress on the turtles from the output. Anyone have any advice and or experience with these filters? I welcome other options. I considered these because they are relatively cheap and I dont need special instalation. This would be a temporary option since I would move my turtles to a bigger setup once they get bigger.
spaceBanana

Post Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:28 am   Re: Thoughts on Penn-plax cascade internal filters

I think they're a low to middle range name brand filter. So it's not the best or worst you can do for the money and should be fine for small-medium tanks. Depending on how long you plan to have them in the rubbermaid, I think you can probably get something even cheaper (like an Aquaclear) until you are ready to upgrade.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:27 pm   Re: Thoughts on Penn-plax cascade internal filters

Thanks for the info. Steve. I actually went ahead and purchased the Cascade 600. I was looking on Amazon for the Aquaclear brand, but they were more expensive and I only saw the hanging type filters. I will be picking up the turtles this weekend, so I went ahead and purchased their stuff so I get them before they get here.
spaceBanana

Post Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:49 pm   Re: Thoughts on Penn-plax cascade internal filters

I think you will fall in love with your new map turtles. I know I did! Sounds like your doing a great job. Keep up the good work. :-)
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion