Equipment Review and Discussion :: Frustrated with my filter!!

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 8:53 am   Frustrated with my filter!!

I am at my wits end with my canister filter. I have a Fluval 306. I have had it less than one year, and up until this point I have had no issues with it. A couple weeks ago I noticed that my Red Eared Slider was showing signs of a little shell rot. I took him out of the tank and "dry docked" him for a week or so. During this time my filter was not running and the tank was being cleaned. After this time, I went to set the tank back up and the filter was not sucking up any water. The propeller was working just fine, but not water intake. I tried to manually prime the filter and it was not doing anything. The water would come up a little and then instantly drop back to where it began. I tried to fill the entire filter with water to help with the priming, and the didn't make a difference. I thought that maybe there was a leak in one of my gaskets so I greased them up, and that seemed to help. I was able to manually prime the system, and get water flow manually but then when I would stop, nothing would happen. I tried to "burp" the system thinking maybe there was some air trapped in it, but that proved unsuccessful as well. It is running right now and every minute or so there is a little trickle that comes out of the hose, but no constant water flow.

I would like to get my turtle back into his tank, but until I get this filter figured out, I am unable to. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice on what I could do to get this filter running?
olberding14

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 4:28 pm   Re: Frustrated with my filter!!

Emptying the filter helps with the priming. I had the old 304 which had several problems too. So, empty it out and put everything back in like this is the first time you're using it. Once the priming fills up the canister, rock it back for a little, wait a few minutes then plug it back into the outlet.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion