Equipment Review and Discussion :: What do you carry your turtle in?

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2016 10:00 am   What do you carry your turtle in?

If you ever have to take your turtle somewhere (like to the vet) what do you carry him/her in? Going to take Tinky for his first vet visit. I've only ever carried him in a box if I've ever brought him anywhere, like outside to enjoy the sun in the summer. I don't want to look crazy bringing him to the vet in a shoe box. Lol what, if any carriers do you all use/suggest? He's 4 yrs old, so he's a good size. Haven't measured him in awhile, but he's at least a good 5/6inches big... if not even a little bigger.
Tinky'sMom

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2016 10:45 am   Re: What do you carry your turtle in?

Since you don't bring water, almost anything is OK. However, the turtle will want to get out and could be difficult to handle. A large box is OK, if you use something like a plastic container just be careful since they might be rubbing their skin against it and get a bruise or rash. Good luck with the vet visit!
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:14 am   Re: What do you carry your turtle in?

Thanks for the suggestion Steve. I picked this container up for just under $4 in Target this weekend. I like the fact that the top has latches, so Tinky can't push up one good time and get out. I used a stencil burner to make the air holes in the lid. I think I'll lay a towel down on the bottom just so he'll have something soft to lay on.

Tinky'sMom

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:05 am   Re: What do you carry your turtle in?

You did a great job doing the container.
Confirmed Sexed Pair of Albino Red Ear Sliders, Baby Albino and Hybino Red Ear Slider and Adult Normal Male Red Ear Slider
Tampa Bay Turtle Fan

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2016 10:12 am   Re: What do you carry your turtle in?

Looks good, remember to line it with a towel or paper and keep an eye on any skin rubbing the plastic.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:39 pm   Re: What do you carry your turtle in?

That looks like a good idea. I also plan on taking my 2 baby RES turtles to the Vet this Saturday, and was looking for something that I could put them in. Duly noting the plastic container issue, my family usually keeps the boxes you find when purchasing Ooolong Men noodles in packs of 6. They look like this:

They're fairly wide and provides just enough space for the turtles to move around. I'll have that available for my turtles, with a layer of plastic bagging wrapped over its interior.
"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore."
Protracturtle

Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:25 pm   Re: What do you carry your turtle in?

What about a shoe box? More room and easier to hold.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:51 pm   Re: What do you carry your turtle in?

steve wrote:What about a shoe box? More room and easier to hold.

No shoe boxes at home, and no one in my family has recently purchased shoes either. I also tried looking in the bins that hold unused Cardboard boxes at the local Price Choppers, but most of them are too large.

Fortunately, a friend of mine recently bought a pair of Airwalks and let me take the shoe box, so I will be using that to move my turtles whenever they're out of the tank. :)
"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore."
Protracturtle

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion