Equipment Review and Discussion :: Fluval C4 H.O.T filter

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:32 am   Fluval C4 H.O.T filter

Is it okay for me to use it?
Aurelia

Post Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:15 pm   Re: Fluval C4 H.O.T filter

What size tank?
How much water going in tank?
Size of turtle?
litefoot

Post Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:56 pm   Re: Fluval C4 H.O.T filter

It's better than nothing, but if you're buying one new, it would be wise to look for a canister filter instead. Those hang on back filters are generally not good enough for filtering out turtle waste.
rambologic

Post Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:06 pm   Re: Fluval C4 H.O.T filter

40 gal
Around 30 gal water
4 inch turtle.
Aurelia

Post Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:07 pm   Re: Fluval C4 H.O.T filter

rambologic wrote:It's better than nothing, but if you're buying one new, it would be wise to look for a canister filter instead. Those hang on back filters are generally not good enough for filtering out turtle waste.

Yeah i'm now saving up some money to buy Fx6 hopefully but i need a temporary filter that will work.
Aurelia

Post Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:13 pm   Re: Fluval C4 H.O.T filter

Just for info most filters are rated for fish and come with media for fish. This could handle 70 fish gallons. Turtles being very messy most suggest 2-5 x's the flow of fish gallons. Babies 2-3 x's flow / juveniles 3-4 x's flow / adults 4-5 x's flow. In time you will understand why better and this is a long term hobby. Turtles can live 40-50 years in captivity under good conditions. And there is no such thing as to much filter when it comes to a turtle , maybe you would have to modify the flow or crank one down but would have less maintenance. If I wanted I could go 3 weeks with my FX6 and all will still be great ! But I clean it every two for piece of mine. You know how we all love doing that maintenance. Ha ha !

I feel this could work for a 4" turtle with 30 gallons turtle water on one condition you may not like. It will require a little more maintenance than you may like. That is water changes and filter must be done of "every" week ! That's a large bio load for that filter. I don't want you to get frustrated doing a lot of maintenance as some beginners do. Yes it does mechanical , chemical and bio but very small amount of total media and will need to be cleaned more. Can work if you don't mind the extra maintenance. You can also change up the media to help with that. That will buy you some time on next upgrade and you can save more for an FX6 down the road.

A though , fill all the way for 40 gallons and make a "ATBA". The extra water volume will help control the waters parameters better and that will help out the filter. Also give more swimming area for a 4" turtle. Google "ATBA" for turtles and you can see some very easy to do yourself.
litefoot

Post Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:19 pm   Re: Fluval C4 H.O.T filter

Aight..thanks!
Aurelia

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion