Equipment Review and Discussion :: Basking dock stable/unstable

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:28 pm   Basking dock stable/unstable

I have always used a stabilized floating dock for my slider, but I have noticed many pet stores and owners do not stabilize their floating basking areas. I am scared to death that she won't be able to climb on her new dock that is not designed to be stabilized. She is probably 7 inches in shell length and 4 wide (guessing). Her new floating dock is 12 by 24 inches. Am I wasting my time to stabilize the dock or should I take the advice to "wait it out"? I have had other owners suggest that when she is ready she will find a way! We are waiting for it to be delivered and for now we have a large zoo med floating dock that she has outgrown.
ShellyTurtleButt

Post Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:22 am   Re: Basking dock stable/unstable

What brand dock is it? I'm not sure of it needing to be stabilized, what sort of mechanism was designed for it? Without knowing more, I would suggest a cork wedge for her basking area if you're OK with it going from front to back of the tank.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:04 am   Re: Basking dock stable/unstable

Extra large zoo med pond dock. Supposed to have a bag of rocks tied to a string connected at the underside of the dock to hold it in place. I don't consider this to be stabilized since its a pond dock. Probably just to keep it from floating away. My concern is mainly stressing her and exhausting her because the dock may move around while she is trying to climb on it. Maybe i am paranoid!! No i dont mind it being from the front to the back at all. Could wedging cause the tank to crack or weaken?
ShellyTurtleButt

Post Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:59 am   Re: Basking dock stable/unstable

Ah, this is a bit of a new product to me. I'm still not much a Zoo Med fan. Any chance you can still return it?

Cork needs to be trimmed and should just be slightly longer than the glass. You can put it at an angle to make it easier to climb too. Wedging should not cause any crack or for it weaken, unless you really jam it or something. The cork itself helps it from sliding or moving against the glass too. It's a good idea to soak it first to make the initial cleaning easier, let some of the harmless tannins out, and maybe expand a little.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:58 pm   Re: Basking dock stable/unstable

It was supposed to be delivered today...i haven't received it yet. I can return it if it doesn't work out and I may try the cork bark for now. I may even try to fabricate the extra large dock to work with the cork bark when I do receive it. Do you have any photos for example?
ShellyTurtleButt

Post Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:33 pm   Re: Basking dock stable/unstable

These are not mine, and I would change a few things, but these are some clear pics:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36810#p346998
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15260&start=1170#p352374
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:13 pm   Re: Basking dock stable/unstable

Turns out that she gets on her dock easily with minimal stabilization...I was a little disappointed in size considering its 2 feet long but Shelly was much larger than I guessed. so hard to believe considering she sat on the face of a quarter as a baby. I will always do my best to accommodate her as she grows. People sometimes don't consider how long they will be caring for a new turtle but I wouldn't have it any other way!!
ShellyTurtleButt

Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:32 pm   Re: Basking dock stable/unstable

When it comes to larger turtles not much OTC works. I use chop sticks as dowel pin's and put two docks together for my Piggley. I have the same 2' dock but modified it with real cork . It's in a stock tank so I have more room to do this. With a glass tank not as wide so one has to be very creative to offer more room on the dock.

Ever look into an "ATBA" DIY pretty cheap for much more room ?
litefoot

Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:38 pm   Re: Basking dock stable/unstable

I see myself getting very creative in the future as Shelly doesn't show any sign of slowing down!
ShellyTurtleButt

Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:41 pm   Re: Basking dock stable/unstable

They do have a way about training us !!!
litefoot

Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:47 pm   Re: Basking dock stable/unstable

Yes we have considered the Above Tank area and we have been doing some research on building as well.
ShellyTurtleButt

Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:54 pm   Re: Basking dock stable/unstable

It could be very simple plexi glass to make a open box on top use your 2' dock and extend it with some cork for more room then fill the tank. Or as elaborate as you want.

PS: look under habitat-indoor / basking pic's . A member just posted this pic. You could always modify dock size for your turtle to offer more varying temps if she just wants to dry off with no heat.
Attachments
Resized_20181029_080751_612[1].jpeg
Resized_20181029_080751_612[1].jpeg (56.78 KiB) Viewed 19801 times
litefoot

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion