Equipment Review and Discussion :: AquaClear 110 (was AquaClear 500)

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:58 pm   AquaClear 110 (was AquaClear 500)

I installed one on a 40-gallon stock tank this weekend, and I must say I've been pleasantly surprised (bye, bye Fluval 4+ :twisted: )--the water today is like liquid crystal. They're not for tanks that aren't filled fairly high or for people who don't like the sound of a waterfall (this can be remedied, though). I'll know more after the first cleaning, but I must say I'm initially pleased. I could see one being used along with a canister to boost cleaning efficiency as well.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:31 pm   

How can the sound be remedied? I just bought one and it's very loud (i have to sleep in the same room) But I hear it is the best one to get. What should I do to make it quieter?
1.0.0 RES - Leonardo - 4.75"
Brianthedog18

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:33 pm   

You can silicone a piece of plexiglass to it so it will break the fall of the water and therefore quiet it down. Or, figure out a way to break the fall of the water some other way so that the water slides down whatever object you use instead of dropping into the tank. How high is the water level in the tank? The lower it is, the noisier the filter is.

I haven't done the plexiglass thing yet--I don't want to keep the filter out for the 48 hours the silicone needs to dry. I'm getting another Aquaclear 110, though, and will probably attach something to it to see the difference. The noise doesn't bother me as it is, but I'm not sleeping the the room with it at the moment.

Let me know how it works if you add some plexiglass.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:49 pm   

I love the sound ... hey some people pay $100.00's on indoor water falls to hear what my filter does lol
Don't put a question mark (?) where God has already put a period (.)!
lydia_lady_fla

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:57 pm   

Yeah but do you hear it in the middle of the night when you're trying to sleep and it sounds like mouse clicks and someone typing?
Dylan ~17~, Brianna~14~ Ethan ~10~ Ava ~4~
flutterby

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:59 pm   

lydia_lady_fla wrote:I love the sound ... hey some people pay $100.00's on indoor water falls to hear what my filter does lol

I agree.. whenever I sit in here by the turtle tank, I tend to start falling asleep.. if I had a way to put it in my bedroom, I think I would have :)
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:40 pm   

wow i didn't realize it too 48 hours to dry, I really don't want to take out the filter that long, not sure what ill do but i'll figure something out
Brianthedog18

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:42 am   

could a small hole(s) be made and you can use a screw to keep it fixed in place?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:50 am   

Well, to make it easier, I believe what I'm going to do is make some sort of plexiglass item to break the fall, but instead of attaching it to the actual filter, I might just give it a base and make it rest on the bottom of the tank....not sure if it'd work though
Brianthedog18

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:39 pm   

Or better yet, would it work if I taped a peice of cardboard (the kind that products come in...I almost want to say they're plastic coated...?) and tape it to the filter to break the fall?
Brianthedog18

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:14 pm   

i'd get acrylic instead of cardboard. i'd also avoid things that can be toxic or fall apart, like tape (adhesives) and rubberbands.

your turts will probably move any base, at least mine would.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:11 pm   

I actually like the sound as well. It's very soothing. (But I'm not sure what two in one room are going to sound like. :))

Brianthedog, the directions with the silicone I think say 24 hours, but I've heard that 48 hours is better to let it cure (if it's humid where you are, definately the 48 hours).

Stainless screws could be used, but I'd use nylon fasteners (you can get them at hardware stores or places like Lowes). I've used them to attach ramps to basking areas when I've made them and they work well (and no worries about rust, etc.). I think with some thought a base (or legs) to support the plexiglass could work.
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:36 pm   

Uh-oh......after I posted that, I got the idea to tape some plastic to the filter, and let it run down that and it worked perfectly....should I remove the tape, or is it safe?
Brianthedog18

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:43 pm   

It is probably not harmful, but if/when it gets wet, it will not be able to stay in place.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion