General Care Discussion :: My turtle is eating rocks

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:33 am   My turtle is eating rocks

We've noticed not once but twice our turtle eating the rocks off the bottom of his tank. Why is he doing this? No, he is not hungry, he gets feed well.

Thanks in advice ! :D
just wondering

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:15 am   

You have to remove the gravel asap that can be very dangerous and if he keeps on doing it the gravel will get stuck in his digestive system and he can eventually die.Definently remove the gravel and look for any signs of sickness if so go to a herp vet immdealty
2 RES Jack and Turbo
1 Shih-tzu/Poodle mix Cookie
turboturtle8

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:22 am   

Yikes! :shock: Get those rocks out of his tank immediately! Turtles have been known to do this and can die from it. The gravel can get stuck in their digestive tract and cause impaction. They will continue to eat the rocks until their stomach is completely swollen with them and death usually follows soon after. Remove all the gravel and then watch to see if he is able to poop them out. If he does, then remove the rocks as right away or he will try to eat them again. Keep doing this everytime you find any rocks after he poops.

Everyone here either keeps bare bottom tanks or else they use large river rocks that are bigger than their turtle's heads so they can't eat them. Keeping only a few rocks (or no rocks at all) on the bottom will also make it much easier to keep the tank clean.
DavidY

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:13 pm   

Turtles will try to eat anything even if they're not hungry
I secong David
First things first take those puppies out
Then see if he poops it out
Tito-- Baby RES

~~Safdar~~
Safdar

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:17 pm   

The posts above are correct!! Gravel in the tank is very dangerous.

After you've removed the gravel, keep a close eye on your turtle and make sure he's pooping normally. It can take months for the gravel to move through his system, so you have to keep watching for a long time. If he's not pooping, then he has to get to a vet right away. The vet can administer laxitives that may help a turtle through a crisis.

Also, as he poops the gravel out, be sure and scoop it up from the bottom of the tank or the turtle will eat it again. Like I said, this can go on for months.
SpotsMama
SpotsMama
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:07 pm   

if you wants rocks in the tank, go to a home improvment store and you can get a FIFTY POUND bag of rocks that will fit in your hand but are big enough that they will never be swallowed. for less than ten bucks.
From the homegrowers soul, straight to his lungs. That's the method that I myself find fun. Start from seed and then you'll see, just how fun homegrowing can be.
da sAUCE!

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:09 pm   

I get mine for $1 a bag at the dollar store. It's enough for them to play with, but not enough to really hold any crap.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:52 pm   

My myrtle wont eat anything that doesnt have a smell or taste lol but i took the gravel out anyway just incase!!
myrtletheturtle

Return to General Care Discussion