Photo Gallery :: New 90g/40g "L"-shaped tank setup

The place to post your photos and pictures.
Winter Photo Contest Winner :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:03 pm   

I used a pair of diagonal cutters and clipped each section in the middle. That way you can snap the extra plastic off the end to get a smooth edge.
DavidY

Post Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:21 pm   

I sold an entire clutch of baby dragons over the weekend to a fellow breeder who has a lot of connections. So with a wad of cash in my pocket I stopped by Petco on my way home and picked up some live plants, decorations, rr minnows, a pair of really cool bamboo shrimp and some treats for the adult dragons.

Anyway, here is the finished setup. I just have to mount the flourescent lights to the back walls.

The 40gal...

Closeup of the live plant cage...

A closer closeup of the live plant cage (w/ minnows)...

The boys on their Grey Goose platform in the 90gal...

The big mama, "Pilot", in the 40gal...

The view from above...

A panoramic shot of both tanks...
(there's an extra turtle in the picture because of the multiple panoramic shots)
DavidY

Post Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:33 pm   

LOL I was about to wonder how you got another turtle!

That is FANTASTIC!!! I really mean it!!! I love the plant cage!

You think they can live in that permanently? Its 40+90 gallons. 130 gallons!
2 Chinese Goldenthread turtles ~ Miso&Mafan
1 Chinese Box turtle ~ Chief Lemon
2 Redfoot Tortoises ~ Sheegua & Muugua
1 Toy Poodle ~ Pudding
3 firebellied newts ~ Cassandra, Mr.Poo, and Wiggles.

http://flickr.com/photos/the_naturalist
Tenodera

Post Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:37 pm   

Wow that look wonderful

Its inspiring
Tito-- Baby RES

~~Safdar~~
Safdar

Post Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:18 pm   

Wow! If there were prizes for this sort of thing, your setup would be the winner. It's really stunning.

Do the turtles go back and forth yet? I guess they do - they're all together in that panoramic shot aren't they?

In the picture "the view from above", how do you keep the turtles from falling of the edge of the ramp in the 90 gallon tank? Is there a piece of plexiglass there that's just so clear it's invisible?

Beautiful decoration too.
SpotsMama
SpotsMama
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:32 pm   

I can see it, it's hardly visible, but you can see the top of it as it runs in the same direction as the white cable... That's an awesome setup, congrats :wink:
bluedragoon85

Post Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:33 pm   

that's so cool
1 5 year old standard poodle(Bijoux)

2 turtles Moxy (M)about 8 years (7 inches) Jenna (F) about 2 to 3 years(4 1/2 inches)

would get more but mom says wait till your 18 and out of my house. lol
MoXyDaTuRtLe

Post Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:44 pm   

OK, bluedragoon, I see the plexiglass now. How nice!

David, I forgot to mention that your turtles are beautiful and healthy too. The whole thing is just beautiful - setup, turtles, decorations.
SpotsMama
SpotsMama
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:40 pm   

WOW!!!! IT TURNED OUT AWESOME!!!!!! :D :D :D I LOVE IT!!!!! :D :D :D
Really Awesome Text Loading...
███████████
▒▒▒▒ 78%

RES's
Tank, SCL 3.75in.
Diesel, SCL 3in.
N4784N R4613

Post Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:52 pm   

Excellent setup David!! Keep us posted on how they move about.....will one favor one tank over another? Will they follow each other back and forth? I'm very curious as to how they adapt to this unique setup!
"Make it turtle proof, and they'll build a better turtle."
grey goose

Post Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:25 pm   

Hey, thanks everybody! :)

Yea they go back and forth on their own but I don't think they've quite figured out exactly how they get from one tank to the other. I think they just climb on the platform to bask and then when they want to go back in the water they just head for the ramp that they happen to be already pointed towards. I started feeding Pilot in the 40gal and the two boys just swam back and forth along the glass in the 90gal begging like crazy. I waited a bit but they never made for the ramp so I just fed them in the 90gal. Everytime I go down there after a few hours they have move around randomly. But it seems that there is always at least one turtle in the 90gal and several times all 3 were in there, but never all 3 in the 40gal. :)

They definitely love the larger swimming space. They now look like the videos of the baby turtles that I've seen paddling frantically as they swim around in their tanks! :D Really cute!

Kevin, I'm still planning on building the 100gal indoor pond with a surrounding basking deck. So...i'm not sure how I'm going to divide up the turtles yet.
DavidY

Post Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:31 pm   

Nice setup david! :D
1.1.0Trachemys scripta elegans
0.0.1Sternotherus odoratus
1.1.0Platemys platycephala
0.1.0Pelomedusa subrufa subrufa
0.0.1.Graptemys pseudogeographica
xsavingsaturdayx

Post Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:06 pm   

DavidY wrote:he he...yea I know. I have an infrared hand held thermometer that I use to check the temps in all my setups and it's accurate to one-tenth of a degree. The stick on ones are accurate to roughtly +/- 3 degrees but they give me a quick peek to make sure the heater's not stuck on or anything. I do have a couple of remote digital thermometers but I have them in other setups right now and the one for the turtle tank is in my incubator. During the summer my basement stays a steady 75 to 78 degrees and I unplug the heaters so they're safe right now. :)

I figured you had some fancy thing like that, just saw an opportunity to rib you a little. :lol: One of these days I'll catch you with gravel in your tank or something.

The setup looks amazing!!! I'm sure the turts are really pleased, even if they can't figure out what you did.
~Christi
1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P.
1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out
0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet

1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P.
1.0 German Shepherd: Pax

1.0 Husband: Will
0.1 Daughter: Lily
untsmurf

Post Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 am   

:lol: At one point I did have some large gravel in there but it was still small enough to fit in their mouths. :roll: Then I started reading what happened to a couple of turtles on here so I took them out. Their in the plant cage now to hold the rooted plants down. Hopefully the turtles won't manage to break into this cage like they did with the first one I built in their original 40gal setup. I used a hot glue gun to glue the pieces of eggcrate together and it only held for a couple of months. This time I used crazy glue. :)
DavidY

Post Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:36 pm   

Has it been determined that crazy glue is safe for aquariums?
steve
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Gallery