Online Links and Deals :: FILSTAR XP Filter

Found a great deal or something useful? Link us up! Do not solicit business here.

Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 2:23 pm   FILSTAR XP Filter

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/

CD-907338
XP1 $52.49

CD-907351
XP2 $67.49

CD-907364
XP3 $86.19
Last edited by steve on Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:15 pm   xp3 ON SALE

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... 2004+22768

I just got XP3 from Drs.forster smith today and it costs USD 92.86 including standard delivery charge. Actually, I bought 2 units, and I got the coupon for my next order. It is going to be expired at the end of August
sfming

Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:35 pm   

drsfostersmith has a huge sale on alot of things right now.

posted july 4
http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=766

XP3's are a great buy
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:11 pm   

Do the XP3's have to go IN the tank, or do they sit outside the tank with tubes, etc?
1.0.0 RES - Leonardo - 4.75"
Brianthedog18

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:44 pm   

OK, I have contacted Carrie in the Live Help section of the Dr Foster Smith online store. They have confirmed that delivery is ok to Northern Ireland! (yay!)

Can I ask a few questions before I proceed to order (as I want to order as much as I can/need so I don't have to re-order in a couple of weeks - as delivery wont be cheap!)

I want to order the XP3 (currently selling at $86.19) and this comes with filter media:

Includes: FilStar coarse and fine foams (2 each for XP2 and XP3) for particle collection, Micro-Filtration Pad for ultra-fine filtration, Bio-Chem Zorb filtration pouch for removal of organic waste.

What exactly do I need in terms of media to suit turtles, as opposed to fish, or is it the same?

There is this page which lists alot of things:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3622&N=2004+113066+2146962598

and this page:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3615&N=2004+113066+2146962598

Thanks for you help ;)
Hammy
Hammy

Post Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:46 pm   

You might want to add plastic stars or ceramic rings to grow the good bacteria which will help balance your tank habitat. Also look at http://www.aquariumpharm.com/media.html for more info. The foams will not have to be changed too often because they can be cleaned and the stars and rings do not need to be cleaned. The fine filters and pouches will need to be changed so get extras to avoid shipping charges. The XP3 will have the three baskets so pads in one / stars& rings / pouches and microfilter pads in the top.
RES Tampa

Post Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:24 pm   

bigalsonline.com currently has the XP3 for & 99.99 and has added ceramic rings and stress coat. I have not used the stress coat but the rings are worth about $20. The xp3 usually comes standard with filter pads and one bio-chem pouch.
RES Tampa

Post Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:25 pm   

Thanks RES Tampa *reads link*

I want to make the right choice first time round, so appreciate all the hints and tips anyone can give!

So if I was to place an order to cover me for six months, I would need the following:

Filter - XP3
including the media that comes with it, plus another 6 sets of filtration pads (as they need changed once per month) - or do they need changed every month?

Thats the: Micro-Filtration Pad for ultra-fine filtration, Bio-Chem Zorb filtration pouch for removal of organic waste.

and if I go with the bigalsonline deal I would get the ceramic rings which don't need replacing (or cleaning!)
Hammy
Hammy

Post Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:34 pm   

You're missing one of the two most important media--the ceramic rings and/or stars for biofiltration.

For the pads, if you're referring to the ppi30 and ppi20 pads that are used for mechanical filtration (bottom basket), they'll last a lot longer than 6 months--I'm using the original ones that came with the filter that I bought and set up in Feb. 2004. (I did buy extras, but they're still in the box.)

If you get ceramic rings with the filter but you want to increase the biomedia (one package per 75 gallons of water, if I remember correctly), I'd get another box of them--if you get a bigger tank, they'll come in handy. (I'm using 1.5 packages of the rings and also have the stars waiting to be used).

Is there anything particularly wrong with your water? I'd forget the bio-chem zorb. I still have the package that came with the filter. I am using the activated carbon, however. It's cheaper than the chem zorb and for turtles works fine.

For the microfiltration pad, I used the one that came with the filter. Then I used that one as a template and bought generic rolls of floss and cut squares the same size as the original micro pad. I have just started not using any microfiltration pad at all and the water looks as good as before. I found that the filter would become clogged more quickly with a microfiltration pad (a complaint that I've read other users have voiced).

The most important media are the bio-media and mechanical media. Some turtle keepers use only these two, and once the beneficial media have colonized and tank care is kept up, they, in most cases, are all that's necessary.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:51 pm   

I do not change the fine filtration pads every month as I clean them well with each filter cleaning - about every two weeks. This will vary if you feed your turtles in the tank. I use a separate container for feeding so the tank filter stays cleaner. Some of the pouches are rechargeable but they don't cost all that much to change on a monthly basis but that is obviously up to you.
RES Tampa

Post Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:03 pm   

I think (hope) the only thing I am having a problem with at the minute is mineral deposits on Spanky's shell.

Will using media help prevent that?

I'm sorry for all these newbie questions, but I really don't know too much about all this :(
Hammy
Hammy

Post Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:07 pm   

Wasn't there a just here with a question mark? :?

Mineral deposits mean the water is hard and none of the media that I mentioned will help with that. There is something called a water softner pillow (I think that's what it's called), also made by AP. It will take out minerals, but included in that is calcium. A member is using it, and maybe they'll post their opinion on it.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:53 pm   

I use the softener pillow and it has made my normally "very hard" water in soft water. I've noticed that I don't get much of the white buildup on my tank either. Also, the pillow is rechargeable. I don't know for how many times though, as I've only had it about 3 weeks.
jdub1107

Post Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:49 pm   

Thanks everyone, I got an e-mail back from BigAls, and unfortunately they don't deliver outside America/Canada. So I will prob go with Dr.Fostersmith and remember to get the ceramic rings as well as the water softner pillow.

Thanks again everyone :)
Hammy
Hammy

Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:18 am   

*Update*

(Why couldn't I live in America!)

I sent an e-mail off to DrFosterSmith requesting a quote for XP3 filter, relevant media and delivery to Northern Ireland.

What I ordered had came to: $118.87 and they replied explaining that delivery would cost: $263.36

As you can tell, I added it up and thought it just wasn't worth it in the end...

So today I ordered:

Eheim 2028 Ltd Edition with Media and Eheim EhfiSubstrat 2ltr all for £156.23(GBP) which is $277.08 from the UK (including delivery)

So hopefully it will be here in the next few days - and I wont have to clean the tank out every single week :)
Hammy
Hammy

Next

Return to Online Links and Deals