Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion :: Florida box ?

A general forum for those with an interest in land-based turtles.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:46 pm   Florida box ?

On the sticky for the FL box turt it says not recommended for beginners. Any ideas why?

I'm in FL, and thinking of setting up an outdoor pen and would prefer a species native to the area. Just wondering why they'd be more difficult than other box or tort species.
Tamara
9" f pen cooter-Liza; 5" m RES-Mercer
5.5" f ornate dbt-Lucy
2 3/4" missi map-Jimi; 1.5" painted-Bob
1 dog, 1 cat, 1 bird, 3 kids, 1 hubby

"My mother had a great deal of trouble with me, but I think she enjoyed it"
--Mark Twain--
FLhaven4strays

Post Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:05 am   

My guess would be the high humidity requirements. With any box turtle, if the humidity is too low, they can develop an ear abcess. I'd guess it's darn near impossible to keep the humidity so high in an indoor enclosure.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:30 am   

jenaero wrote:My guess would be the high humidity requirements. With any box turtle, if the humidity is too low, they can develop an ear abcess. I'd guess it's darn near impossible to keep the humidity so high in an indoor enclosure.

So I'd think that w/ an outdoor FL area it should be ok w/ twice daily misting / watering? Our humidity is horrible (unless you're a boxie, I guess. LOL) Hmmmm. I'll look into their info more. Thanks.
Tamara
9" f pen cooter-Liza; 5" m RES-Mercer
5.5" f ornate dbt-Lucy
2 3/4" missi map-Jimi; 1.5" painted-Bob
1 dog, 1 cat, 1 bird, 3 kids, 1 hubby

"My mother had a great deal of trouble with me, but I think she enjoyed it"
--Mark Twain--
FLhaven4strays

Post Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:03 pm   

Outdoor pens are always best, but you have to make sure it's completely predator proof. Even something as small as a rat can do HUGE damage to a box turtle. Think also, of any predators that may come in from above. I would suggest doing as much research as humanly possible before getting a boxie. I researched for a good 6 months, and there were still some things I wasn't sure on.

Good luck :-)
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Return to Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion