Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion :: Craigslist find.

A general forum for those with an interest in land-based turtles.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:31 pm   Craigslist find.

Now I know you're wondering why I would be posting a turtle swimming in water in the "Box Turtle and Turtle Discussion" area but this is the text accompanying the picture...
"I have a very cute little box turtle. He comes this his tank, food, rock, and fitler. I am asking $10 rehoming fee for him. He has quite the personality! We are going out of town for a few weeks and I don't know anyone here to watch him for me seeing as we just moved here! Thanks for looking."

Please tell me that this kid is wrong that the turtle is a boxie and that it's just a horrible set up for an aquatic turtle.
jes
powerofvoodoo

Post Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:41 pm   

Can't tell from the pic really. Can you put up a link to the ad?
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:48 pm   

That's the only picture they put up, unfortunately, but here's the link to the add:
http://norfolk.craigslist.org/pet/655603174.html
jes
powerofvoodoo

Post Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:51 pm   

The ad's been deleted...hmm

Anyway, if I had to guess, I'd say it's an aquatic based on the shape of the shell. A lot of people don't know the difference between a box turtle or a slider and that's probably what he was told he was buying at the time.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:55 pm   

That's what I was hoping for because I almost fell off my chair when I saw the picture. I don't know enough about the shapes of shells to be able to tell them apart.
jes
powerofvoodoo

Post Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:41 pm   

I think so as well. Plus the coloring looks like the carapace of a RES to me.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:17 am   

i agree, it looks like an RES. i've heard other people confuse box turtles and RES. they just didn't know anything about turtles.
Tom & Ashley
(RES) Crush, Squirt
(3T Box) Manny & Isabella
(Dog) Ember
RunninWideOpen

Return to Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion