Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion :: tortoises & boxies & hibernation

A general forum for those with an interest in land-based turtles.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:51 pm   tortoises & boxies & hibernation

I want to get a tortoise someday, maybe a Russian Tortoise. But that day is a long way off. :roll: But it's never to early to start researching! I know most people on here don't hibernate their RES, but alot of tortoise websites talk about hiberantion. But I just cannot get comfortable with the idea of sticking my pet in a mini-fridge! :shock: So I just wondered, how many of you here who have tortoises and boxies hibernate them, and how many don't? what are the pros and cons? I never plan on breeding tortoises, so thats not an issue for me. Personally, I rather keep my tortoise nice and warm and awake in my house all year long (with outings in the yard in the warm months of course :P )
1.0.0 RES
1.0.0 Russian Tortoise
0.1.0 Eastern Box Turtle
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko
1.0.0 Pyxie Frog
0.1.0 White's Tree Frog
0.1.2 Parakeets
1.3.0 Dogs
0.1.0 Cat
imderanged

Post Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:56 am   

If you hibernate them they will grow less quickly. But if you do they will live longer. I personally wouldn't hibernate them.
Take-One

Post Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:24 am   

There are certain species of torts that cannot hibernate. The only one that comes to mind right now is the sulcata, but there are others.

I don't hibernate my boxie because I'm just too scared that something would go wrong and he wouldn't wake up. If anything ever happened to him I'd be devastated.

Hibernation is supposed to be good for breeding, etc. It supposedly lets them live longer, but if mine lives 75 years rather than 100 I won't lose any sleep. It's certainly not something that you must do.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:35 pm   

You guys are giving me one less reason not to get a tortoise! haha. Pretty soon I will have myself convince it is a good idea! :D It's a good thing I have such an indulgent husband! At first the kept telling me I was nuts and that I shouldn't get one, but he kept asking me where I would put a tortoise and if I was planning on letting it run all over the house with the dogs! :roll: Then I realized he thought ALL tortoises were huge. He was picturing me trying to keep a Galapagos Tortoise in the house or something!!! :lol: Now that he knows that the species I want is 6-8 in, he's alot more open to the idea!
1.0.0 RES
1.0.0 Russian Tortoise
0.1.0 Eastern Box Turtle
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko
1.0.0 Pyxie Frog
0.1.0 White's Tree Frog
0.1.2 Parakeets
1.3.0 Dogs
0.1.0 Cat
imderanged

Post Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:23 pm   

imderanged wrote:You guys are giving me one less reason not to get a tortoise! haha. Pretty soon I will have myself convince it is a good idea! :D It's a good thing I have such an indulgent husband! At first the kept telling me I was nuts and that I shouldn't get one, but he kept asking me where I would put a tortoise and if I was planning on letting it run all over the house with the dogs! :roll: Then I realized he thought ALL tortoises were huge. He was picturing me trying to keep a Galapagos Tortoise in the house or something!!! :lol: Now that he knows that the species I want is 6-8 in, he's alot more open to the idea!

Ha! If my parent knew RES got up to 12 inches they would have never bought one!
Take-One

Post Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:26 pm   

I subscribe to the Tortoise Trust list and there are tons of mail regarding torts waking up in fridges. If it's a turt/tort that I am close to, it would not be something I would try in artificial or natural situation.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:51 pm   

Oh and Cherryhead Redfoot Torts stay small and don't hibernate. But they require TONS of humidity.
Take-One

Post Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:51 am   

Take-One wrote:Oh and Cherryhead Redfoot Torts stay small and don't hibernate. But they require TONS of humidity.

Not exactly. They get up to 18-20" in length.
I know people say cherryheads are smaller than the normal kind, but all the adult cherryheads I have seen are just as big as the normal kind.
2 Chinese Goldenthread turtles ~ Miso&Mafan
1 Chinese Box turtle ~ Chief Lemon
2 Redfoot Tortoises ~ Sheegua & Muugua
1 Toy Poodle ~ Pudding
3 firebellied newts ~ Cassandra, Mr.Poo, and Wiggles.

http://flickr.com/photos/the_naturalist
Tenodera

Post Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:16 pm   

Tenodera wrote:
Take-One wrote:Oh and Cherryhead Redfoot Torts stay small and don't hibernate. But they require TONS of humidity.

Not exactly. They get up to 18-20" in length.
I know people say cherryheads are smaller than the normal kind, but all the adult cherryheads I have seen are just as big as the normal kind.

Everybody that has adult ones that I talked to had theres in 9-12 inches

Hm...
Take-One

Post Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:29 pm   

i was thinking about getting a russian tort. in fact i still am and i had the same thoughts about hibernating. someone i know who had one for several years and he said that she naturaly slows down durring parts of the year but he's never acctualy tried to hibernate her. *shrug* i just dont feel comfortable about leaving still living things in the fridge. i'd still love to own one especially since i met my first one in petco. they are beautiful but i think i'm going to try and find a breeder if there are any around
~amy

Rolo- Female RES 3-4 years ~ lives away from home now :(

Jim- Fiance
Dein211

Post Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:07 pm   

I dont think ill hibernate mine, for at least another year or two when im off to marine corps boot camp. so my mom doesnt have to complain about taking care of my turts, now my res. idk wat ima do bout them i guess shell just have to try to throw a few veggies in there daily.
2 RES Squirtle and Screw..
..Russian Tortoise Big Moe
ScrewZoo

Return to Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion