Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion :: Which is better, Boxie or Russian?

A general forum for those with an interest in land-based turtles.

Better pet?

Box Turtle
45%
Russian Tortoise
55%

Total votes : 11

Post Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:13 am   Which is better, Boxie or Russian?

I want to get some kind of terrestrial turtle/tortoise.
I live in New Jersey in a well populated suburb, so keeping him outdoors is not a good option. There's alot of cats and some raccoons, and temps drop down too low in the cooler months. What I would like to do is set up a large rabbit type cage with a deep bottom indoors for him. I want a species that stay relatively small. I am entirely willing to rescue an adult animal verus buying a hatchling. I obviously do not want to buy a wild caught animal from an unsrupulous dealer, which I have heard CAN be an issue with Boxies, but there must be channels to get CB Boxies?

Anyways....the two I am looking at most closely are Russian Tortioses and Eastern Box Turtles. I have been trying to research them, but I want to get your opinions. Which is easier to care for? which has the least complicated diet? Does one or the other generally have a better temperment? Any advise would be apreciated. Also if anyone knows of a good place to get either one...Right now the only idea I have had is to wait for NY reptile shows and try there...I have been unable to locate any turtle rescues in my area (Jersey Shore)
1.0.0 RES
1.0.0 Russian Tortoise
0.1.0 Eastern Box Turtle
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko
1.0.0 Pyxie Frog
0.1.0 White's Tree Frog
0.1.2 Parakeets
1.3.0 Dogs
0.1.0 Cat
imderanged

Post Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:34 pm   

I say russian cuz i got one.. There easy to care for.. they eat veggies n stuff so its easier..
2 RES Squirtle and Screw..
..Russian Tortoise Big Moe
ScrewZoo

Post Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:24 pm   

box turtle. hands down :)
- Jessy
"Every breath we take is linked to the sea."
zoologist

Post Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:34 pm   

I would go with a boxie as well.
http://chrisredearslider.blogspot.com/
1.0 Red Ear Slider-Squirt
37g-Dwarf Gourami/Peaceful Comm. tank
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
Chrisbarnett

Post Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:51 am   

I'm just wondering, why you would go with the boxies? Are they easier to care for, or have better personalities, or just a personal preference?
1.0.0 RES
1.0.0 Russian Tortoise
0.1.0 Eastern Box Turtle
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko
1.0.0 Pyxie Frog
0.1.0 White's Tree Frog
0.1.2 Parakeets
1.3.0 Dogs
0.1.0 Cat
imderanged

Post Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:22 am   

for me its personal preference. Now that I own a boxie, and my mom has a ornate as well, I think they are a lot cooler than russians.

And I think the diet of an EBT will be much simpler than that of a russian.
http://chrisredearslider.blogspot.com/
1.0 Red Ear Slider-Squirt
37g-Dwarf Gourami/Peaceful Comm. tank
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
Chrisbarnett

Post Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:29 pm   

I have a Cherry head tortoise and a Three Toed Boxie. They both need the same requirements as far as humidity and set ups go. The tortoise will get bigger than the boxie. Also the Cherry head can't hibernate so it will need large accommodations inside, while the boxie will stay smaller but should really hibernate, so I am making an enclosure for her to stay outside year round. They both are easy to take care of....about the same, I would say. The boxie has much more of a personality. She is friendly and curious about everything. The tortoise, is only interested in his food and then will wonder around a bit and then go into his hide. It really is a matter of what you can accommodate indoors. A rabbit cage is much too small for any tortoise or boxie...IMO.
Terry
Terryo

Post Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:29 am   

When I say "rabbit cage" I mean something like the jumbo size of this tpe of cage :
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=11166
Do you think thats too small for a species such as a Russian or Eastern Box Turtle?
1.0.0 RES
1.0.0 Russian Tortoise
0.1.0 Eastern Box Turtle
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko
1.0.0 Pyxie Frog
0.1.0 White's Tree Frog
0.1.2 Parakeets
1.3.0 Dogs
0.1.0 Cat
imderanged

Post Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:25 pm   

I guess that would be good enough for some kinds of tortoises that don't need humidity. Most boxies do need some. You have to give them the option to go into a humid hide or dry area. I don't think that would hold the humidity too well. It would be good for outdoors in a partial shady area. It wouldn't be good for a tropical species of tortoise. You also have to have a substrate that is deep enough for them to dig under when they want to. I don't think you can do that with the rabbit cage. Also it would be very stressful for any tortoise or boxie to be able to look out with no covered sides. They would always be trying to get out. I keep mine in a 75 gal planted vivarium. I try to make it as natural a setting as I can. Look at some of the pictures on this site and you can get an idea what I am talking about.
He doesn't keep any tortoises, but has some beautiful boxies. I coppied my vivariums for my boxies and my tortoise from his pictures.
http://turtle_tails.tripod.com/raisingb ... urtles.htm
Terry
Terryo

Return to Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion