Feeding and Nutrition :: Turtle Jello Shots

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Did the jello shots work to your satisfaction?

Yes!
86%
No!
14%

Total votes : 120

Post Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:14 pm   

zoologist wrote:i wouldnt make them with fruit because turtles can process sugar like humans can, so fruit is not too good for them except as a rare treat.

Don't worry; that's exactly what I made them for!
1 RES, Piper
1 YBS, Michelangelo
2 gerbils, Annie and Maple
2 tetras, Leonin and Perotin
2 longfin danios, Cloud and Flash
1 blue mystery snail
spaceapple

Post Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:47 am   

This awesome, I am going to try it because my little guys dont like greens, only veggie they eat is carrot for some reason. Can we get this topic pinned? As far as nutrition etc.. how is the gelatin itself, is it ok for them, isnt it protein?
Doc_Moore_J

Post Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:18 am   

absolutely brilliant.
didnt you want to get a patent for this when you first made it, and did not give it out freely at first hehehe.

yay for supreme turtle food experimentation!
-Gabe:D

1.0.1 RES - Raphael & Speedy Claxter

Egg Crate: (n.) turtle owner's best friend, (2) also known as light diffuser, (3) found in local hardware stores in the lighting section
Raphulk

Post Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:02 pm   

Just want to say thanks. I made some of these today and my turtles tore them up immediately. Ingredients used:

3 types of pellets I normally feed them
Tuna juice and a pinch of tuna
Dandilion greens
Carrot
Goya (bitter Japanese plant for long life)
Japanese pumkin (similar in texture and flavor to sweet potato)
Pinch of freeze dried krill
chunk of tomato
Calcium powder
1 pack gelatin

It was like a turtle buffet and they totally loved it. First time I could get them to eat the goya and greens too so this is definately a good way to make them eat their veggies if they are picky.

Here is a picture of one chowing down.

Thanks again, definately something I will be making regularly, not to mention one pack of gelatin makes enough for over a week for my little guys.
Doc_Moore_J

Post Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:29 pm   

i'm glad your turtle likes it :)

and yes, i wanted to get a patent, but ah well... im sure there are other varying degrees of this recipe out there somewhere!
- Jessy
"Every breath we take is linked to the sea."
zoologist

Post Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:07 pm   

Well, I took the advice of other forum members in response to my query about what to feed a picky baby turtle and made this jello stuff. Here's what I did. I followed the instructions and pureed some veggies: collard greens, squash, and apple. I drained the juice out of two cans of tuna to give my blender some liquid to work with and to fool my turtle into thinking he's eating fish and not vegetables. It smelled like a bad sushi bar and looked like the slime they pour on celebrities' heads on Nickelodeon. Then I ground up ReptoMin pellets, HBH Turtle Bites, baby river shrimp, bloodworms, and calcium supplement in a bowl. I couldn't bring myself to grind up the crickets I have... they smell horrible and they're extremely juicy. So then I made jello out of the veggies and the food powder, and it looked like bright green pond slime. Very suitable for a turtle. Lastly, I let it set awhile and then sprinkled the top of the jello with ground up baby shrimp.
queenjane

Post Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:30 pm   

Jessy - You Rock! I cannot wait to try this out this weekend! I am having all sorts of problems getting Sheldon to eat veggies - - what an awesome idea!
Reel Girl

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:20 am   

I say sticky!

Also I'm gonna do it... if I can remember when I go to the store lol.

I don't really have a problem with Sisqo eating the Veggies, Orlando oprefers pellets, but my problem is with me remembering that I have Veggies in the fridge...

Mine always ruin before I can feed them.
Swaypippin

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:21 pm   

Just out of curiosity Jessy, but do you feed your RES the shots everyday as his one and only meal? Or do you give him some pellets, some greens, and then the treat? Just wondering, thank in advance.
My non-human family consists of...

1 RES-- Mary Jane
1 Ball Python-- Rukiya
2 Cockatiels-- Chapis and Stewie
JimmyJam

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:09 pm   

The knox isn't bad for the turtles??
Amg81083

Post Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:59 am   

I'll have to try that. My turtle would probably love them!! :mrgreen:
"The turtle may befriend the tiger, but he will never leave his shell." - Me
sliderz_rock

Post Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:06 am   

Jimmy, me personally, I feed mine the shots as a staple diet...because he WILL NOT eat pellets or veggies otherwise. So, the shots contain everything he needs. I do feed him an occasional treat otherwise.

Amg, I wouldn't think Knox would be bad for turts in any way considering what's it's actually made of, which is a protein.
1 Male RES, 16 yrs. "Krueger"
1 Female Central American Wood Turtle
2 Dogs
3 Cats
mzkitty23

Post Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:09 am   

i do the same as mzkitty, i feed it as a staple, with an occasional treat.
- Jessy
"Every breath we take is linked to the sea."
zoologist

Post Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:00 pm   

My turtle absolutely goes nuts over it! :D I say this is the best way to get turtles to get all their nutrition. You can put in any veggies it needs and alter it to what your turtle needs. (For example my turtle is shedding so I put in some blueberries, apple peel and tomatoes. :D)

I think this is going to have to be a little bit of a staple food along with his pellets. :D BEST TURTLE FOOD EVER!
Nin10doGC

Post Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:55 pm   

WHY IS THIS NOT A STICKY YET?!?!?!?!? lol
Two RES : Morris And Orion
Mandyb

PreviousNext

Return to Feeding and Nutrition