Feeding and Nutrition :: quick question

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:48 pm   quick question

my one turtle and is 4 inchs..and my other 2 turtles are about 3 inchs...now they are still eating the hatchling food...i can't seem to get them to eat any other type of pellets..any suggestions? thanks in advance.
Hockeygirl21

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:10 am   

veggies now is the best time to try veggies to get them in the habit.
tini

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:32 am   

I don't think still feeding baby pellets will hurt them. But I haven't heard how anyone else feels about it. I believe the baby pellets are lower in protein and higher in calcium than the regular, but not sure. It could be the other way around but I'm sure someone would correct be if I'm wrong. ;)
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:59 pm   

My painteds are still eating Reptomin Baby and they're just a year old (I bought a lot ahead). I think it's fine to do, as is feeding a younger turt regular-size pellets if the turt will eat them. It's a matter of what the turtle is used to eating. Getting them to eat a new food may be a matter of withholding the food they like until they're hungry enough to try something new (if they're healthy they won't starve) or getting the scent of something they like on a new food. You could try mixing the pellets they like with some new ones--initially give more of the ones they like and if they start nibbling at the others gradually change the proportion until they eat the new ones. Vary the diet, though, so that they're not just eating pellets--read up on other foods you can offer.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:39 am   

Ok I have a bottle of both foods..

Hatchling has:
44% crude Protein
15% crude Fat
5% crude Fiber
10% Moisture Max

Adult formula has:
35% crude Protein (max)
5% crude Fat (min)