Equipment Review and Discussion :: Any heaters that can be good for baby Turts?

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:19 am   Any heaters that can be good for baby Turts?

If the water is only like 2 1/2 inches tall, what type of heater should I get?
1 F RES 9" (Kingler)
1 F Belize Slider 7" (Agamemnon)
My Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/condorboy1/videos
Linus

Post Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:54 am   

any submersible heater should be fine. i have 2 different types of heaters from petco for my turtles and they've both been fine.
1 yellow bellied slider-cosmo! (<2 inches)
1 florida red bellied cooter-stella! (1 inch)
1 yellow lab-sandy!
1 hedgehog-coco!
LeslieMW

Post Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:56 am   

Why is the water so shallow? Even hatchling aquatic turtles need more water than that.
With water that shallow you run the risk of the turtles drowning, because if they flip over there isn't enough water to right themselves and they'd be stuck on their shells under the water.
So, in response to your question- add more water and get a durable heater like a stealth heater.
2 RES: Leo (f) and Ezra (m)
1 Russian Tortoise: Godzilla (m)
megcornell
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:08 am   

I thought that the tank should be as deep as their shell length? I thought they drown if it's too deep?

And thanks.
1 F RES 9" (Kingler)
My Youtube Channel:
Linus

Post Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:42 am   

No, aquatic turtles are natural swimmers, they're fine in deep water. Their muscles however aren't as strong as adults so you want to provide resting places like floating plants so they don't get exhausted.
2 RES: Leo (f) and Ezra (m)
1 Russian Tortoise: Godzilla (m)
megcornell
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:57 am   

sfmmfreak wrote:I thought that the tank should be as deep as their shell length? I thought they drown if it's too deep?

To add to what meg said, this is the absolute MINIMUM water depth, not the ideal. The ideal would be a completely full tank of water with an ABTA (above tank basking area). Rememeber as well that the recommended tank size is one that can hold 10 gallons of water for every inch of shell length.

Obviously not everyone has the space or money for the 'ideal' tank, but it is what you want to aim for when considerring your turtles needs.

If you want more info, you could start here;
http://www.redearslider.com/index_habitat.html
1 RES, Spike (In new home with 1xPleco, 1xRed Zebra Cichlid, 1xYellow Lab Cichlid)
2 Cats, Blossom & Panda
2 Tropical tanks (plecos, platies, tetras)
2 Handsome Blue Bettas, Blueberry & ?
1 Bright Red Betta, Strawberry
1 Feeder guppy breeding tank
Fuzzy Hamster

Post Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:07 am   

For really small hatchlings, I've compromised the depth of the water, having it around 6 inches to start with and gradually adding water as they grow/ adapt to it. It doesn't have to be filled all the way up to begin with. If it is, resting places like plastic plants are necessary (and I use them or anachris even it tanks that aren't filled all the way to also provide cover).

If you have a water depth that completely covers the heater (and 6 inches will do this if you have it horizontal on the bottom), you could use any reputable submersible heater that's the appropriate wattage for the tank. If the water level isn't that far over the heater, you need to periodically check to make sure the level hasn't dropped from evaporation.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:02 pm   

Ok, thanks for the help everyone. The water was at about 4", but before wednesday when the turts arrive, I'll add about two more inches.

I bought an Aqua Clear Submersible Aquarium Heater. 50 Watts.

Now it is glass, but by the time my turts get big enough to break it, they'll be in the pond.
1 F RES 9" (Kingler)
My Youtube Channel:
Linus

Post Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:08 pm   

FWIW, yesterday I stumbled across a baby snapper in a nest I had thought had been raided by moles. I'm planning to overwinter him and let him go in the spring. He's starting out in a small tank with less than 2 inches of water, but it will be raised a little to correspond with his growth.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:59 pm   

sf-freak -- When sliders leave their egg shells in the wild they get in the water and start swimming. It may be better to put hatchlings in shallow water and then add to it as much as you can afford and take care of. I rescued two yellow bellies from a bowl and put them in a 30 gallon and they did just fine. Just keep them in clean water and stick to the temps, lighting, filtering rules and they will so great. b.
Bascomb

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion