Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion :: new eastern and eating

A general forum for those with an interest in land-based turtles.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:16 pm   new eastern and eating

Ok guys I've had this little guy since friday and I haven't yet seen him eat. I offered red words, box turtle pellets (they smell fruity), shrimp pellets for fish, and RES pellets. I thought maybe he's not eating because he was recently re-homed, but I do worry. He is very active, moving around the enclosure and burying himself, and soaks in his water dish pretty often, and seems to be quite content.

How long did you have to wait before yours would eat? And what did he/she eat first.

Keep in mind mine is just a tiny little guy, maybe two inches.
Swaypippin

Post Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:04 am   

Try crickets. Hatchling boxies love crickets..
2 RES Squirtle and Screw..
..Russian Tortoise Big Moe
ScrewZoo

Post Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:14 am   

Anything that moves should get him eating. Try something slow moving like a silkworm or butter worm.

I think I had my baby boxie for about a week before he actually ate. It took me about a year to get him to eat fruits/veggies but he still refuses pellets after 3 years.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:01 pm   

http://turtle_tails.tripod.com/raisingb ... /tour1.htm

Go to this site and see how he feeds his and look at his set ups. It is a great site with lots of pictures.
Terry
Terryo

Post Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:45 am   

I tried regular old red worms, he didn't seem even a little interested in them. I'll get some crickets asap. Other than not wanting to eat anything I offer, he's doing good :) I'm pretty happy about that lol.
Swaypippin

Post Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:26 am   

My baby boxies did not eat for awhile after I got them. They weren't interested at all in anything but hiding.

Is your little guy hiding a lot? Mine would pretty much run away from the food dish as soon as I set them in front of it. One day I just decided to keep putting them in front of it until they would eat. After about 45 minutes of that, they noticed the worms moving around and finally ate something.
Tom & Ashley
(RES) Crush, Squirt
(3T Box) Manny & Isabella
(Dog) Ember
RunninWideOpen

Post Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:17 am   

Mine mostly hides too. But I did buy 6 crickets and they're all gone now so either they are masters of escape or he ate them. I'm not sure, I never caught him in the act.

I put him in a new tank last week, so now he has all kinds of room, but he choses to hide in the same spot, all the time :(
Swaypippin

Post Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:44 am   

imma doubt that he ate them, only cause it took Carolina LITERALLY 7 minutes to eat one, slow moving meal worm. i have it on tape too.

it took me a few weeks to get Carolina to eat, and believe me that was a nerve-racking time. i give her a mix of box turtle pellets soaked in tuna juice to soften them up and blood worms

have you tried an earthworm? thats the first thing carolina ate for me :)
- Jessy
"Every breath we take is linked to the sea."
zoologist

Post Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:54 am   

Mine loved (and still does) small butter worms.
Terry
Terryo

Post Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:58 pm   

Ya...I doubt that he at them. Crickets are masters of escape and hiding. I always monitor them when I give the turts crickets. Whenever the cricket gets out of eyesight of the turtle I have to put it back. And this is with cutting the rear legs of btw as well.

Babies hiding is very normal. Have you gotten him to eat yet? Live, squirmy worms are the only thing that got my babies attention. And I had to keep setting him back down in front of the worm also.

One thing I did when I had just got mine is used mostly plain topsoil for substrate, kept it moist, and then I got a 100 pack of the small red wriggly earth worms and just dumped em in there. That way the babies would have something to hunt that felt more natural to them. They did go after them. I would often see them pulling worms out of the ground and munching on them.
Tom & Ashley
(RES) Crush, Squirt
(Dog) Ember
RunninWideOpen

Post Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:00 pm   

oh, btw, you said "new tank". What kind of enclosure is it? Boxies don't do well with aquarium/terrium style tanks. They get stressed out and want to hide even more. They need something they can't see through. Just FYI....
Tom & Ashley
(RES) Crush, Squirt
(Dog) Ember
RunninWideOpen

Post Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:08 pm   

I have my boxie in a 75 gal vivarium...back and sides covered with aquarium background paper, and 6 in across the front. I can see in but she can't see out. Also a vivarium (especially if it's planted) is good for keeping in the humidity for a hatchling or juvie boxie. An adult should go outside if at all possible. I know many breeders who like to keep their hatchlings and juvies in a tank vivarium with moss. It is the best way to keep in humidity and a screen top with a long tube UVB filters the "sun rays" just as it would on the forest floor. Add plenty of leaf litter, and you are mimicking the natural habitat of forest dwelling species.
Terry
Terryo

Post Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:56 pm   

That doesn't even look like a tank if you take out the little thermometer thing!
1.0.0 RES-Slash
1.2.0 Cat-Abby/Cali/Nemo
0.1.0 Yorkie-Lucie
1.0.0 Jack Russell Terrier-Cooper
I have lots of ideas! Trouble is, most of them suck!
PcBuilder14

Post Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:10 am   

Ok. First, there was no way the crickets got out, so he had to have eaten them. He's surprisingly pretty fast, at least faster than I would've thought. And they aren't hiding under anything in there, so... I dunno. Maybe they evaporated lol.

Second, I did try earthworms. I put two in there and I'm pretty sure he ate them because when I changed him into another tank I couldn't find the little buggers. I dug through his dirt and everything.

He is in a 30 gal aquarium for now, he's only about 2 inches long, so I think it'll be ok for now. I did my home work and I know glass isn't the best thing for them because they can see out and blah blah blah. So I actually did try to set up my enclosure in the best less stressful way possible.

He has soily-sandish dirt as the substrate, about 2.5 inches. Then there is leaf litter on top. I just planted some spider plants in there, will be getting moss soon, and he has a wooden log hide. His water dish is plenty deep enough for him yet shallow enough for him to get out of easily. He has a screne top to filter his lighting, and I mist at least 3 times each day. I'm hoping the plants will help with that, and the moss of course.

Thanks for all the suggestions :) I did do my homework on this little guy but I always welcome those who are more experienced.
Swaypippin

Post Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:30 pm   

Sounds like you are doing everything right. 30 gal is fine for a 2 1/2 in. boxie...for now. Good for you.

There's some great pictures on this site...
http://turtle_tails.tripod.com/raisingb ... /tour1.htm
Terry
Terryo

Return to Box Turtle and Tortoise Discussion