General Care Discussion :: I think my turtle's poop is white.

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:57 pm   I think my turtle's poop is white.

Recently my turtle has been making this weird white slimy stuff. It's about 1 inch long and the thickness of a chop-stick. It sleeps a lot so I think it may be hibernating, but I'm not sure. The tank's tempurature is about 71 degrees F. I got my RES recently in late September/early October. (I think it was September 30th?) I think it may be poop, but I'm not sure. The first week when I got my RES its poop as brown and normal. I put food on the dock, but it doesn't eat it that often. Are you supposed to put the food pellets in the water or on the dock? And has anyone's else's turtle been making strange white slimy stuff? :o
mogu

Post Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:16 am   

I hate to scare you but you'd better get your turtle to a good herp vet right away. He's not hibernating - it's not nearly cool enough to make him hibernate. The poop doesn't sound normal - it should be brown and normal like it was at the first. Acting sleepy and having a poor appetite are signs that a turtle isn't feeling good. I'd guess a digestive tract problem. Try to find a vet that has experience with turtles - or at least reptiles.

You are supposed to put the food pellets in the water. RES are aquatic and can't eat their food unless it is in the water. Have you ever feed him in the water?

Until you can get him in to see a vet, bump the temp way up to 80 to 82 degrees. Avoid stressing him (don't pick him up unless you have to). Try to get him to eat. Offer him some treats like tuna (in water) or boiled shrimp or boiled chicken - things you'd normally only give him once in a while.

Then...read up on turtle care on this site. There's a gold mine of info on here and when you have questions, ask them on the forum and we'll try to help.

Good luck. Keep us posted.
SpotsMama
SpotsMama
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:21 am   

Oh, okay, thanks. I'll try it now. :)
Squeesh & Squash : )

RIP Squish....
mogu

Post Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:36 am   

My turtle has been pooping dark red poop after i changed to a different brand of pellets. Is it blood or food coloring? The pellets are either red or green/brown.

sorry for not starting a new topic - but its about poop anyway :)
I have one RES :)
Deon

Post Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:11 pm   

Often their poop will be colored by what they eat. When my turtle eats carrots his poop gets orangy. If your turtle is eating red pellets, that's probably why his poop is red. As long as it's nice and firm and he's not showing any symptoms of distress, I wouldn't worry.
SpotsMama
SpotsMama
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:23 pm   

I second that, my turtles poop fluorescent orange when I feed them those krill pellets (as a treat).
-robind
robind

Post Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:31 am   

oh ok thanks!
I have one RES :)
Deon

Post Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:07 pm   

Whenever I put pellets in the water they expand, sink to the bottom, and get smushed by a rock/fish/something. :? I can't try feeding her in the water because she always basks and I don't want to hdisturb her, as SpotsMama said. o.o Do RES's move during sleep? Are their eyes opened or closed when they bask/sleep? o.o

:?:

RIP Squish....
mogu

Post Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:09 pm   

What kind of pellets do you use, mogu? And I think for reptiles, their sleep patterns are significantly different from ours. I know their eyes are closed when they sleep, and I generally only seem them sleeping in the water, not on land.
-robind
robind

Post Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:27 pm   

I feed her these dark greenish Reptomin sticks by Tetra and little wheat-colored + scarlet balls from Rep-Cal.

Oh, yea. Squishy (-thinking of names-) has been sleeping under water for the past few days. Do they close their eyes while basking? And sometimes, when I poke its arm while its eyes are closed, it...you know, goes back in. It jerks tis arm away. I'm not sure if it's awake or just closing its eyes while basking, but I certainly wouldn't jerk my hand way if someone happened to poke it while I was sleeping. :roll:

Well, who knows. :? Squishy could be swimming with the fishes while I'm out or sleeping. o.o

RIP Squish....
mogu

Post Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:59 pm   

They have to be fed in the water. You can feed your turtles in a container separate from the tank if it seems it would help - like a tub or large bowl - but the container has to have water in it or the turtles won't be able to swallow.

Turtles usually sleep in the water - sometimes on their basking platform. When they are sleeping or napping, their eyes are closed.

If your turtle is small and young and lets you touch him/her while he/she is basking, then he/she is probably lethargic - meaning sleepy or lacking energy. Lethargy is a sign either that they are too cold or else they don't feel good (sick or malnourished). Healthy little turtles are very lively and skittish - they will run and hide when anyone comes around.
SpotsMama
SpotsMama
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:59 pm   

My turtles sleep (nap) when they bask all the time. When they are napping they tend to be jumpy when they wake up and even a little grumpy. I love when i'm looking at my turtle when she's basking and she slowly blinks her eyes until she falls asleep. Many times I join in and we have quality nap time together. :)
I have two female red ear sliders.
Chimpy - 5.5 inches
Chompy- 6.0 inches
Both were born about 7/2007
Got them -- 9/2007
bradmeisel

Return to General Care Discussion